Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800, Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

How to set up to use wifi

I recently got a a blackberry Torch 9800 through kijiji.  It's great but I'm a little unsure how to set up the phone to use only wifi (since I don't often use the internet).  I would appreciate if someone could tell me how to do this.

Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: How to set up to use wifi

Well first, when you activate the wi-fi it immediately searches for any wi-fi. Once you find the SSID you were looking for, simply click on it and it should connect. Also, once a phone is connected to a wi-fi hotspot, the phone will use wi-fi not the monthly data. That way you can surf the web, use social networks etc. However long you want so long as your still connected to wi-fi. Hope this helps!
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800, Blackberry Playbook
My Carrier: Telus

I did what you told me and added the wifi.  I have another question though.  

In the section for manage connections; since I only want to use only wifi, should I uncheck mobile network (Telus)? Also what about the section for mobile network for 'data service' and 'while roaming,' should they be on or off.  If I have the 'data service' off, would I still able to send and receive text messages? Able to use the internet? 

Highlighted
Regular Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: AT&T

It doesn't matter if you turn your Network off or keep it on. Your device will still be using wi-fi. But should you turn your mobile network off you will not be able to send/receive text messages. I personally keep all of my networks on eventhough I am using my home wi-fi. I use wi-fi for everything internet, and use my network for text messages and phone calls.