Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

tbonesteak
My Device: 9800

How to turn off screen auto rotation

Hi,

Just got my 9800 today, love the phone but don't like the screen rotate itself. Anyone know where to turn this feature off ?

ASAP help is greatly appreciated.

Contributor
texashem
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: How to turn off screen auto rotation

I haven't been able to find a setting/option for this.  However, if you slide it open to show the keyboard, it seems the screen won't rotate.

Trusted Contributor
donb2
My Device: Torch 9800

no sure why you'd want to disable it.  do you like laying on your side to view your phone or something?

actually i'd like for it not to rotate when you hold thephone at a slight angle.  like diagonal and slightly away from you and then it rotates.  argh.

AlexCartwright
My Device: Torch

I'm not going to be any help whatsoever to any of these posts but I wanted to add my comments on this issue.  The BB Torch is thus far an excellent compromise between the business functionality of a Blackberry and the 'Games and Larking About' features of an I-Phone.  However, how do you stop the screen from rotating?  It's just plain irritating to find a phone that I use predominantly in portraite orientation but that spends half its time residing NOT in portrait orientation (for example in my pocket or on an uneven desk surface, taking a second or so each time I pick it up or look at it at an odd angle catching up with what's just happened as I picked it up to use it!  Come on BB - you can fix this, you know you can - we just need an OPTION to disable the tilt meter!   

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

search sixtools on app world, they have screen lock for orientation

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
guykr
My Device: Torch9800

screen lock is ok.. but what if I won't to setup the tilt sensibility? so I won't need to wait all those seconds for it to tilt?

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

guykr wrote:

screen lock is ok.. but what if I won't to setup the tilt sensibility? so I won't need to wait all those seconds for it to tilt?

I dont see a setting for that. Maybe some one needs to put a bug in a developers ear.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

jpfrenette
My Device: 9800

I just got my Torch a few days ago and really, the auto-rotate have to go!  Why not just put a twisting hand gesture to rotate the screen?  They could leave the auto-orientation feature available but allow a manual mode of some kind, without third party apps.

I often get emergency emails at night and, combining being sleepy in bed with a screen tha won't make-up it's mind on what direction it goes does make for a strong temptation to throw the BB out the window.  I get time when it's portrait, times where it's landscape and times where it's landscape upside-down!  How can a sleepy confused mind can figure this out? :smileyvery-happy:

Same as another member is saying, just being on a desk is often enough to confuse the orientation.