Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
jottaviani
My Device: Torch 9800

Incoming/Outgoing Mail Settings and Ports?

For a new e-mail account, Network Solutions wants me to set incoming and outgoing mail server settings and ports.  But all my Blackberry 9800 asks for is the e-mail account and password.  I can't find any way to enter any of the other information.  Is there a way to bypass the screen and enter the mail settings manually?

Thanks

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2072), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Incoming/Outgoing Mail Settings and Ports?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Yes, there is a way. Provide your accurate email address, but an intentionally incorrect password. The screen will redraw with the same fields to again fill in, but there will be an added tic box at the bottom for "I will provide these settings manually" (or something similar). Tic that box and proceed, and you will receive screens on which to enter more details.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
jottaviani

OMG!  After two weeks of trying, this is the first time I get the "I will provide the settings option."  Why isn't this in the manual?????

Thanks, but after all this, I'm still getting the same error message:  "Cannot log in.  Verify your email address, user name and password.  If the error persists, contact [domain name] (which is hosted by Network Solutions, who have been useless).

I know the user name and password are correct as I can use them to log in on my computer.

Is there a place to enter the Incoming Mail Server, Outgoing Mail Server, Incoming and Outgoing Server ports, etc., like when I set up Outlook?  All the new screen allows me to enter is email address, password, email server and user name.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Sometimes, it is difficult to enter the information via the device interface...since you are with ATT, you can use their BIS interface via PC/browser:

Note that you likely will not ever be entering the outgoing information...via BIS, the BB uses the BIS outgoing SMTP servers rather than your providers.

Good luck!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
jottaviani

After 90 minutes on the phone with AT&T Tecnical Support and RIM Technical Support, they were able to get it set up. :-)

But RIM should realy make that "I will set it up manually" option much more readily accessible.

Thaks for pointing me in the right direction!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

That is odd that it took them so long...makes me think that something additional was wrong on their back end. Many have used that trick of an incorrect password quite successfully via either the on-device or PC/browser BIS interface. Strange, but I'm glad you got it working.

Cheers!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates