Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
thompspn
My Device: Torch 9800
Accepted Solution

Keypad Not Working

Hi,

My Blackberry will not respond to any of the keys on the phone. i can have limited access by using the touch screen but all keys are not working including the lock screen, call and hangup. They were working fine and there were no updates so I have a feeling I need to replace this phone.

If anyone has any other suggestions to try then it would be most appreciated.

Thanks.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Keypad Not Working

Have you removed the battery to reboot the device?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
thompspn

Hi. Sorry should have added that I have taken the battery out several times to re-boot but no luck

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Use Desktop Manager to make a full backup of the device.

Once you do that, on the phone, go to Options and type "security wipe". Wipe the device of all it's data, including 3rd party applications. If the problem persists then you will need to replace the device. If it starts to work then it's something in an app or in your data that is causing the issue.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

I suspect this is moisture damage (to the keyboard).

If what John above works, good, if not... It sounds like what I have seen multiple times on a device with moisture damage.
Even sitting on a bathroom counter during a hot steamy shower or bath can cause keyboard and trackball problems UNTIL properly dried out. It really is more common than you think.
1. Remove the battery immediately!! Do not attempt to turn on your BlackBerry.
2. Let the device dry in a warm, dry place for 3 to 5 days* (see below)
3. DO NOT "check it each day" by placing the battery in. Leave it be to dry completely. This takes time. Replacing the battery to check it can only damage it more (moisture + electrical current = disaster).
4. If the device is warm after the drying period, allow it to cool to room temperature before placing the battery back in.

Suggestions on drying your BlackBerry in a warm place (open, with the battery out):
*Place the BB in a container of dry UNcooked rice, and then you might also place it in any of the locations mentioned below.
*On top of any dry heat emitting electronic component: TV cabinet or CRT, LCD, cable TV/Satellite converter box or plasma monitor
*On the dashboard of your car on a sunny day

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
thompspn

Unfortunately the security wipe did not work so I will leave to dry as you have suggested.

thank you both for responding

Guru I
John_Clark

Drying may help. If it got wet then the contacts probably have corroded and drying may not help. It's definitely worth a try, though.

Since it seems to be all the buttons it makes me suspect a hardware failure inside the device.
New Contributor
thompspn

Hi,

I left my battery out for most of yesterday. Was told by my company that I needed to take it to our local Telstra shop to get it sorted as I needed my phone for work. I put the battery back in and still could not get functionality of the buttons.

I took this down to the shop and showed the person there. He likewise could not operate the buttons. I showed him how to tkae the back off and remove the battery then replace as he had not used this hone before. When he did this, the bl**dy thing worked. It made me look like I had egg on my face. I did stress to him that I had removed the battery at least a dozen times over the last few days with no luck.

I dare say that it must have been some moisture as we have had a couple of humid days and it had dried out. I wil keep monitoring as I am not confident that this wont happen again but at least I have a fully functioning Blackberry again.

Thanks to all of you that contributed and gave me some tips :Clap:

JSanders
Solutions: 5,992
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

thompson, that's great it is working now. Good luck with it.

IF you do think it could have been moisture, you need to make sure it is completely dried out, I'd still place it in a box  of rice over a night or couple days, to extract any moisture from inside the device.

Otherwise, good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
saibaba_poosa
My Device: 8110

can you please confirm whether i have to dismantle the body of the phone & only motherboard has to place in a box of rice over a night or couple days, to extract any moisture from inside the device?

because i had tried for 3days in a box of rice but no result, so please some help..