Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: Latest OS 6.0.0.526

I have quick pull on my phone as well and it resets everynight at 3:00 am. I hope you are correct. I am a huge blackberry fan and have everyone I know on one. I know this is always a work in progress. Do you have any idea as to why the bogging down or are you not having this problem? I am clearing my logs, resetting and memory boosting and it all works but only for a short time.

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

I, for one, don't actually know why this happens.  All I know is you're telling your phone "this is how you used to work, now you're going to do it this way from now on" and your phone has to adjust to it.  How's that for the technical explanation of the week?  :smileyhappy:

The only saving grace is that it doesn't usually last.  If it did, it wouldn't be on a BlackBerry.  :smileywink:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9780, 9700, 8820, 9300, 8700
My Carrier: Globe

Friends,

Thanks for your previous input, but after a dozen attempts or more with 7 different software programs now over a week.. My BB9700 will not upgrade to OS 6.0.  The phone just (even though connected) will not change to OS 6.0 with the OS 6.0 software load.  It just continues as OS 5.0. I have used 3 different PC's.  I have used XP and Windows 7 Profession.  Something is preventing the upgrade of the phone.  Is there anyway I can delete the present OS 5.0 and make this BB9700 load OS 6.0  I have done almost everything including a security wipe at one point, of the phone but the OS 5.0 ghost remains.  Please help

Blackberry Bulldog

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

[ Edited ]

dcecil48,

Yes, you can most certainly remove the 5.0 OS and install the 6.0.....hopefully successfully this time! :smileyhappy:

Download and install a program called BBSAK (BlackBerry Swiss Army Knife).  Once that's installed connect your device to the PC and launch BBSAK.  It will ask you for a password, but if you haven't set any password on your device, click okay and you'll enter the app.  Once in, select the option to "Wipe OS".  This will completely remove the OS and the end result will be an app error 507 on your device's screen.  At this point you'll be able to load the new OS.

Make sure you have a backup of your device prior to doing this and also make sure you have the OS you want to load onto your device installed on your computer.  If you have any third party apps, remember that a lot of them probably won't work with the 6.0 OS, or you'll need to update them with the latest version that's compatible with OS 6.0.  You'll want to back up your third party apps, as well, or you can simply reinstall them aftewards.  BBSAK has a function to back up third party apps.

Once the OS is installed on your computer, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader.  At the bottom of the folder you'll see a file called "vendor.xml"  Highlight the file and delete it.

Next, connect your device to the PC then, in that same folder where you deleted the vendor.xml file, double click on the executable file towards the top called "Loader".  It will have a little phone icon next to it.  This will launch the Application Loader software to hopefully get the OS 6 installed on your device.

Once the OS is installed, you can do a restore of your settings, etc from the backup you made earlier.

Please keep us posted as to how it goes!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor
My Device: Storm 9800

I did contact AT&T and they could not help nor were they aware of this upgrade. I was told by the tech at AT&T that they do not have a contact at RIMM that they can contact directly.

Everything is now fixed as I downgraded back the the previous OS.

Wayne Rowlands

Forums Veteran I

Well you were mislead, then, Wayne.  It's unfortunate.  They most certainly do have escalation channels they use and to be told that they don't is an outright lie.

I'm an AT&T customer and had some issues with my device.  My contact at AT&T escalated my case to RIM and I ultimately got a new device because of it.

As for them claiming to have no knowledge of the OS, that's not right either.  It's right here on their website!

I'm glad you got your device working to your satisfaction, but I'm sorry about the experience you had with AT&T.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: tigo

I have just updated my blackberry, but My problem is now that I cannot switch to German as the language for typing, voice recognition etc. The only possible option is English. Are other languages not yet working? If no how can I get the earlier version until the languages are complete

Thanks

P.D. I hope I posted this in the correct group, I will thank the hint to post it correctly

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry 9780, 9700, 8820, 9300, 8700
My Carrier: Globe

Boomer56,  Man..This is FUN..I served on a "Boomer" a US Navy Submarine"

Hey I downloaded the BBSAK and the first time it ran, but no error on the screen on the BB 9700 and OS 5.0 still remains on the 9700.  Tried it about 6 more times and it sez "no device connected" NOW.   I started Blackberry Desktop and it finds the BB 9700 via my USB. 

So, I'm still stuck with OS 5.0.  So at this point I am about to pitch this 9700 in the junk pile.  Boomer56 if you have any other ideas, please share them.  I want OS 5.0 off my phone and I want to do it because somebody in RIM is making my life difficult or I'm STUPID!!! Hehehe, probably the latter.

Dave in Philippines

Forums Veteran I

Dave, sorry it's taken so long to get back to you.  Was out of town for the weekend.

Anyway, please describe in more detail what you were attempting to do with BBSAK.  Are you trying to wipe your device and install OS 6?

Developer
My Device: Torch 9800

I upgraded to the official AT&T 526.  Here's why I'm downgrading now:

1. Multiple times per day when I try to open an email from the notifications list, the phone freezes.  I do a battery pull and keep going.  If I wait it out, it takes almost 30 min, then gives App Erro 602 and then I reset.

2. If I have more than 1 email, the first in the notification area is in white, the others are black and overlap, becoming unreadable. 

3. Over a period of heavy browser use, it begins to "forget" to render some text.  The problem progressively gets worse. The space is just there, but no text.  Selecting doesn't show it, nor does copy and paste elsewhere.  Eventually, Google looks like one big page of underlines.  Battery pull corrects, but it happens again, that is if I get to play with it long enough (see #1).