Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
gordonbleu
My Device: Torch 9800

Low caller volume on Torch 9800 phone

[ Edited ]

Just bought a used 9800 (excellent condition so unlikely it's been dropped, but no possibility of returning) and, when I make/receive a call, I can't hear nearly well enough the person I'm talking to (about half what I would like/expect and my hearing is just fine).  It's OK on speakerphone or if I use an earjack but I'm not going to do this.  Have tried turning volume up to 100% and invoked audio boost and clicked side volume button up, but all to no avail. I have done a soft and hard boot (battery pull), but no change.  I'm using the newest OS 6.0 Bundle 2647. I've talked to both Rogers (my carrier) and Blackberry with neither of them prepared to help other than both admitting they've received comments re this issue in the past but no firm resolution they can point me towards except these forums.

On the various forum threads,  I now see this volume issue has been ongoing with this phone since inception, but am wondering if anyone can suggest anything else for me to try.  Very much appreciated otherwise this phone is of no use.

Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.1.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Low caller volume on Torch 9800 phone

I had the 9800 and never had that issue. I also had the 9810 and never had it on that device either. The 9800 is over 4 years old now so the chances that it's been dropped are actually higher than you might think. It is possible that the speaker is bad and needs to be replaced. That's quite a job on the 9800/9810 and I wouldn't recommend it unless you're really good with small electronics repair.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor
gordonbleu
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Low caller volume on Torch 9800 phone

John, thanks for your quick reply.  In my research of the 9800 forums, it sounds like there are certainly those like yourself with no volume issues, but there are many, many who say low volume is an issue, but they were able to return it under warranty (not possible in my case).   However, if there is no other "quick fix" suggested here, I may just take it to a repair shop to see if they have seen this problem before and what they reommend (and how much to fix).   I'll let you know what I find out.  Thanks for your interest.