Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
DB9000
My Device: Torch 9800

Many problems after the OS6 upgrade

Hello,

I have some problems after the upgrade to OS 6 - 695 was done. Not sure what version I had before though.

Here is the list:

- The Apps world icon disappeared

- I'm getting messages about expired certificates that i can not get rid off.

- I am now in an area with only Wifi and no telphone signal and come to find out that i can not send/receive any emails.

- When on Wifi only my normal internet works but it does not work when i try to fix the missing apps icon by typing in http://mobileapps.blackberry.com/devicesoftware/entry.do?code=appworld3. the screen will stay blank and does not go anywhere.

- The battery is draining really fast (appr 6 hrs).

- Tried to go reload or go back one version with the pc with the desktop software as discribed here http://us.blackberry.com/support/apps-and-software/install-pc.html#/h:/support/apps-and-software/ins...   but the screen with the red X does not pop up.

- Tried the wipe handheld and reload, but the problems stay.

I have always been very pleased with this phone but now it is p***ng me off.

If i could just go back to whatever previous OS I had where everything works, i would be happy again.

I hope BB will test their software next time before they send it to their customers.

Hope anyone can help me here.

New Contributor
DB9000

Re: Many problems after the OS6 upgrade

Forgot to mention, it is a Torch 9800.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!!

After any OS updates or when things start to act strangely, I always suggest the following steps (when you are in a strong carrier signal area), in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Batt Pull Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes. See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you may want to attempt reloading or falling back.

At the top of each device forum, there should be some "sticky" threads that discuss the OS levels available for many models. If they include your model, then please use those as reference as you proceed. Otherwise, you will have to dig through the official download portal for OS packages for your model:

From a PC, you can install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
DB9000

Thanks for the extensive explaination.

It will be at least another 2 weeks before i will be back on shore and have a carrier signal.

I will go through the steps then.

Will keep you informed on the progress.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Wait -- you did this update while your BB is not "on" it's home carrier network? That is never advised...quite often, the update process clears out a lot of necessary things that are, after the update succeeds, repopulated from the carrier network. Not having access to the carrier network means those things cannot be repopulated, and whatever services then depend on those things cannot work. Hence, doing any updates while roaming is never advised, as what you describe is very often the outcome.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
DB9000

No, the upgrade was accutually done on my home carrier network. It would be quite expensive to do that on raoming.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Ah...OK...then the best of luck to you when you return, and please do let us know how you get on.

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
DB9000

Well, most problems have been sorted now. I only still get many messages about invallid certificates. I'ts very annoying. Anyone have any solution for this?

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Excellent...so all but one issue resolved. Can you, though, please provide the exact and complete error message presented, along with the conditions that cause it to present? That way, we can be sure we are looking at the correct situation.

Thanks and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates