Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Memory Card

Hey guys!

I have had a blackberry curve in the past and have just upgraded to the Torch. It comes with 4 gig memory and I think I want to increase. I have never been a picture taker and have never used my phone for music or anything like that. But I want to start taking advantage of these capabilities. I won't be storing very many pictures for very long as I am fairly diligent in transfering to the desktop but I do want to use my device for music and other storage. In my case, do I need a lot of gigs or what would you suggest? Maybe you could help me by telling me how many pictures or songs can be stored per gig then I could make a judgement call? 

Steve

Super Contributor
My Device: *
My Carrier: No Carrier

Re: Memory Card

Its very simple mate

4 GB = 4 x 1024 MB = 4096 MB

and

1 MB = 1024 KB which means 1024 x 4096 = 4194304 KB

Each picture if we take average in JPG extention then will be cover size about 300 KB then the pictures can be stored in 4 GB is

4 GB = 4194304/300 = 13981.01 Pictures

And now for the songs if you have just MP3 type then each MP3 songs will average covsers around 6 MB now we have a space of 4096 MB then

4 GB = 4096/6 = 682.67 SOngs

Now its upto you if i am in place of you then i choose half half sapce for both

2 GB = for Songs = 2048/6 = 341 Songs.

2 GB  = For picures = 2048 x 1024 = 2097152/300 = 6990.51 Pictures

Its very very simple i hope this will help you out. If yes then just remmeber me in your prayers.

Thanks

Contributor

Ok... you are blowing my mind here! 2gigs will store 6 thousand pictures?

Contributor

What else is or gets stored on the memory card?
Super Contributor

Yes i will you can see the calculations i made and you can see. These are standard calucaltions acual will vary but yes 2 Gigs can almost hold 6000 pictures. Now for your other question about what else it can store then here is it

1.    SOngs all types

2.    Personal Data (In PC it acts like a hard drive)

3.    Videos all types

4.    Any raw material on your BB

The memory card is designed to get extra free space. Its just like the PC that you plug another hard disk to get more storage.

And imagin if you increase your memory from 4 Gigs to 8 or 16 Gigs then calculate by your self that how may songs, pictiures and raw material it can hold

Need any help please let me know

Contributor

You have been very helpful. I'm so happy you responded, and yes... I will pray for you. Are you a believer in Jesus? If so, I could use your prayers as well. Thank you kind sir!
Super Contributor

NO man i am really sorry fo that.

I am a muslim and lived in pakistan

My Name is

Muhammad Ehsan

IT Support Engineer

Ovex Technologies Pakistan

I am network administrator, IT Mananger, IT Support Engineer, Exchange Administrator Too.

Thank your very much for your vvery kind reply

I will pray for You as well. Take care my friend

Contributor

Very nice to meet you and I look forward to future contact. Thank you sooooo much for the info... you are very smart Smiley Surprised)
Super Contributor

Thanks you can follow me on yahoo messenger or on skype too. Check out my profile for more conact info and take care its vert nice to meet you

Contributor

Hey James! I can't believe I found you! I've got a new phone (Torch 9810 OS7) and am havintrouble in a couple areas.

1) I purchased a course online and was emailed a link to download a file. I did so and sent it to files where I tried to open it only to see a message "cannot be viewed on your device". So I emailed the file to myself and was able to open all the forms but could not open the book zip file. When I tried to open the zip file a % meter appeared and showed a a process that ended at 100% but never opened. So I checked my files it was back in there. Still can't open it and I'm just going in circles.

2) There are video attachments that require Adobe Flash to view. When I try to download the program I'm told it is not available for my device. Any options here?

Steve