Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
wrgretsch
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: at&t

Memory/podcasts/battery

My sim card memory is very full (only 1003.1 MB free of 3.6 GB) and my device memory has lots of room (3.5 GB free of 3.7 GB).  Meanwhile my podcasts have many full download wheels that are not spinning and others that are shown as half.  My battery will no longer last a full day.  What is wrong and how do I fix?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Memory/podcasts/battery

Try a Battery pull please, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot device. This will clear all cache like rebooting a PC. Then try again and see if your problem persists.

A media card full of songs and pictures will take a long time to generate the thumbnails and song playlist, possibly making it slow up first use.

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on Smartphone. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Disable Compression on media card? go to Options, Device, Storage

using a custom theme? try it for a day the factory default one to rule out your theme

remember the esc key closes most apps, except for GPS and some chat clients. the other apps need to use menu and then exit or close. The farthest key to the right is a home key and does not close any apps per se but will end calls.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
wrgretsch
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: at&t

---I did a hard boot but it did not change the memory numbers in that my built in memory does not appear to be being used much.

---Why are all my pictures, sound files, etc going into the sim memory and not into the built in memory?  I would think that this slows everything down.

---Your question mark after  "Disable compression on media card?" confuses me.  Also the screen does not appear to have a check block to do this - the disable block appears to refer to the built in memory.  Am I interpreting that right?   Also all the BB literature indicates that compression should be kept on. 

---Some of my podcast entries still have full or half yellow wheels next to them.  What does this mean.  Does it mean that my downloads are stuck because there is not enough memory to put them into?

--Thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

wrgretsch wrote:

---I did a hard boot but it did not change the memory numbers in that my built in memory does not appear to be being used much.

Your OS memory will go down though after a batt pull

---Why are all my pictures, sound files, etc going into the sim memory and not into the built in memory?  I would think that this slows everything down. Hardly the case. You can choose internal or external. I like to use my SD card for this.

---Your question mark after  "Disable compression on media card?" confuses me.  Also the screen does not appear to have a check block to do this - the disable block appears to refer to the built in memory.  Am I interpreting that right?   Also all the BB literature indicates that compression should be kept on. 

Is safe to turn off, it was more important on older devices with less memory. It will make all pictures smaller and compressed files take longer to open.

---Some of my podcast entries still have full or half yellow wheels next to them.  What does this mean.  Does it mean that my downloads are stuck because there is not enough memory to put them into?

That is possible, I would get a biggercard or try to archive some files.

--Thanks for your help!

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.