Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Bell

Menu and Escape/Back buttons not working

I have a Torch 9810 that's 17 months old (only 19 months left in my contract!). For the past few weeks, I've been having problems with my escape/back button not working, which has been an inconvenience. Yesterday, the menu button also stopped working, and where the escape/back button did work inconsistently before, both of those keys stopped working entirely. I did a battery pull, and that solved it for a few minutes. Tried a few more times, and nothing. Connected it to my computer for updates, sync, etc., and nothing.

I really can't tell if this is a hardware or software problem; any insights? I pulled the front panel off, as I read online that there can be problems with the connections there, but that didn't seem to be the issue. Holding a button and pressing call doesn't resolve it, but I've just discovered that pressing end and then menu or back does seem to help (for the last few minutes, anyway).

I am a heavy user, so I wouldn't be entirely surprised if those two buttons wore out, or if a connection inside the phone came dislodged somehow. I took it into my service provider, but they had no ideas and said it wasn't worth the money to repair the phone (trying to get me to upgrade), so that was a fruitless trip. Any help you can offer would be much appreciated!