Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Goodenuff
My Device: Torch

Messenger lost contacts

I had to reformat my Torch and after starting up, cant get into my BlackBerry Messenger.

It comes up with a message saying "Restoring BBM" and stays like that for a few hours.

I look up other forums and the consensus was to remove Ver 7, restart and load Ver 6.2

I did this but the phone now picked up my new gmail address.  The old contacts, stored on Ver 7, were on another email address.  I logged into Blackberry.com/bbm and changed the user name from the old address to the new one, but now it cant find anything, or can start BBM

I've tried (several times) rebooting, removing, installing old versions, upgrading, removing that, installing new versions, but nothing.

Has anyone out there experienced anything like this and managed to resolve it?  I would really appreciate help as I have many business contacts there (friends included)

Thanks,

Ian

Retired
FrankieS
My Device: BlackBerry Z10 smartphone

Re: Messenger lost contacts

Hi Goodenuff,

Sorry to hear about the issue you're having with BBM. BBM 7 now associates your BBM contacts with your BlackBerry ID, not with an individual email address as previously. Have you tried doing a restore from the email address you were using to backup your contacts in BBM 6? This article has the steps. "How to back up and restore the BlackBerry Messenger contact list" http://bbry.lv/Rh9T8T

Are you able to open BBM and try this procedure or is it unable to open? If it is unable to open, can you please provide any error messages you are receiving?

I look forward to your response.

-FS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on Twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
Goodenuff
My Device: Torch

Re: Messenger lost contacts

Morning FS,

I tried every option  knew of including restoring a backup from June last year...

So, renamed my existing BB id to anohter email address and then created a new one.

I've then emailed those customers/friends and asked them to 're-invite' me.

A bit of a pain, but it works,

Just all my birthdays set in Gmail are not coming throug to the Torch which is a bit of a pain.

And today I recieved a reminder for a friends brithday from the 09/03/1945 - today being the 15th?  Go figure.

If Blackberry could get that (and maybe the picture sync to work), that would be great.

Thanks for the help anyway...

Ian