Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
bigfoot_tom
My Device: Blackberry Torch
Accepted Solution

Mute button says "you have no new messages"

I've been having a problem with my Torch since I downloaded updates to a few apps the other day. Now any time the Mute button on the top right of the Torch is hit, a chime sounds and a few seconds later a woman's voice says "you have no new messages". My phone is always on silent, but the voice and chime still sound at full volume. This happens frequently as the button gets triggered when my phone is in my pocket. Anyone else have this issue, and hopefully know of how to disable it??

Tom

Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

Re: Mute button says "you have no new messages"

RIM offered a free premium app a while back called Drivesafe.ly. It reads your messages out loud for you. I suspect you have that installed and that's what is causing this.

I hope that helps you. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
bigfoot_tom

Thanks BillJ, unfortunately when I uninstalled Drivesafe.ly it continues to beep and read that I have no messages. This only started a few days ago, and the only apps I've updated are Blackberry App World, BBM, and BeBuzz Free 

Sammyantha
My Device: Blackberry torch 9800

I'm glad I found this, mines been doing the exact same. Its only since I updated a few apps too. I've never had the drive safely app thingy. I also didn't kknow what button was doing it, now that I do, I maybe can stop it going off at innappropriate times.
Elite II
BillJ

If it's not the drivesafe.ly app that's doing it, try a battery pull.  With your phone powered on, remove your battery then replace it.  If that doesn't do the trick, reloading your OS with BlackBerry Desktop Software (Device>Restore>(pick a restore point) on the Desktop Software) should do it.

Keep us up to date with your progress.  :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor
bigfoot_tom

No luck with the battery pull, and my most recent backup doesn't resolve the problem.
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Go to Options > Device > Application Management and look through the list of apps installed. Do you see anything that looks out of place there?

If there is, just delete the app that was guilty. If not, then there are two more drastic options available, including doing a security wipe to reset your phone, or a full OS reload. If you're not sure which app could be causing it, list the names of your third party apps here and we can see if any could be the cause.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

New Contributor
bigfoot_tom

Excellent! Turns out it was caused by BeBuzz, which blackberry was giving away for free as a premium app along with Drive Safe.ly like Bill.J mentioned above. I deleted BeBuzz (first thing I tried deleting thankfully!) Now my mute but works and I don't get the "you have no new messages" voice. Thank you Krypto and BillJ, your help was very much appreciated, that voice was driving me nuts!
Elite I
Krypto
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Awesome! And that's good to know for future people with the same issue. :smileyhappy:

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Elite II
BillJ

It appears that bigfoot_tom is happy once again, but I'm bettin' this won't be the last time we hear from someone who hears a strange voice coming from their phone.  :smileyhappy: