Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Need help ASAP fixing my BB Torch. Anyone???

I was just getting off a call with my provider's customer's service when my BB Torch went completely blank on me. It has not been wanting to turn on for me even when on the charger. I tried every possible basic thing to try and fix it but nothing seems to work. It has been like this for a little over a week now, the computer reads the phpne whenever I plug the USB into the computer. All that the phone has been doing is showing & blinking a red light indicator.. Just a little while ago today, I plugged the phone back in to the laptop to see if the BB Software would pick it up and I saw the battery icon with the bolt in the middle of the battery icon, in the middle of the screen. Then it went away... WHAT IN THE WORLD COULD THIS PROBLEM BE?!?!?!?! I NEED MY PHONE TO WORK ALREADY, I BET I HAVE BEEN MISSING SOME VERY IMPORTANT CALLS!!!

Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Re: Need help ASAP fixing my BB Torch. Anyone???

I would try a new/replacement battery.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

Thanks for your input. How much would they normally cost??
Guru II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.2.2252; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Depends. I would look on eBay or Amazon as most of the time the stores don't carry batteries anymore. No guarantee that's the problem but that's where I'd start if you're wanting to revive this old device.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
New Contributor

I dont want to revive it to keep using it. I just want the information I have stored in the phone so I can move it to my Galaxy Note II. That's if it's still in there. After I get what I need to get, I promised myself I would smash the phone with a hammer.
Guru II

Most data you have in there is not going to be easily moved over to an Android device. If you sync the device with Outlook you might be able to sync Outlook to the Android but there is no means to "convert" the data and move it to Android.
New Contributor

I just need the basic stuff I can transfer through bluetooth. Nothing huge. Contacts, pictures, etc.
Guru II

From what you describe it sounds like the battery is bad. It happens, no battery lasts forever and the age of that device is about right for needing a replacement battery. It's probably shown signs of it the last few months of use with not holding a charge as long, etc. At this point, though, it's likely that it's so dead that it just won't boot and connecting a charger isn't enough. The battery has to be above a certain level in order to boot.

However, that diagnosis isn't 100%. It's possible that a new battery won't fix it and that something in the charging circuitry is faulty.

Wish I had more concrete info for you.
New Contributor

No that information is great! It actually makes sense because the phone would die on me during a call and when I would turn it back on, it would show the battery icon at roughly "50%". So it could POSSIBLY be the battery. Would the phone still turn on without the battery inside, while the phone is hooked onto a charger? Thats what I tried doing as well. I didnt know it could've been the battery until you mentioned the symptoms of a bad battery.
Guru II

No, the device will not boot up without a battery that is at least up to a certain level (usually around 5-10%).

Like I said, the 9850 is old enough that you should have replaced the battery once before now, anyway, even under normal conditions.