Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch on BIS
My Carrier: AT&T

New BB user - my impressions and my story

[ Edited ]

I am new to Blackberry and chose it because iPhone and Android are gimmicky, in my opinion: lots of cute little apps with very little substance. I'm more of a business user, though I use my phone for personal use. With the Torch it looked like Blackberry had the best of both worlds. PIM, and a good internet/entertainment experience on a phone that has both touch and keyboard. 

I have had my phone for one week yesterday. I spent the past week mostly getting to know the menus and deciding on my settings. I am now getting to the point of attempting to bring over my *complete* personal information, instead of the truncated data that came over on the sim card from my Nokia 5530XM. (I am also a new AT&T customer, having transferred from a small midwest U.S. cell provider that they bought, so I didn't have the AT&T contacts backup.) 

My system:

-- OS v6.0.0.246

-- BIS through AT&T

-- No corporate BES to connect with

-- I have email pushed from my newly-created @att.blackberry.net address, and also from my email at my domain hosting company. 

-- Windows XP SP3

-- 1.8 GHz processor

-- 1 GB RAM

-- USB 2.0 (or 2.1... whatever) for syncing

The phone itself is a dream!  And my only problem is occasional screen lagging, but not a lot.  Basically it has been trouble free -- until I tried to sync it with my computer. Now, my Blackberry dream is turning into a nightmare. 

I came from a Palm PDA background, where I used the Palm Desktop with Iambic's Agendus software on my Zire, and I loved it. I have never used or wanted Outlook, and didn't know that Outlook was required for syncing, before I got my Torch. I have Office 2003 Pro, so I went ahead and installed Outlook. I cannot get this stuff to work together. I have spent hours searching this and other forums, reading everyone's comments and complaints about syncing with Outlook, uninstalling and clean-removing and reinstalling. Nothing solves the problem.

This post is not about me asking for help with it. The purpose of this post is to let Blackberry know that there IS something wrong. How much of it is software and hardware and "customer error" I don't know. But the only thing stopping me from taking this phone back right now is that I don't want the other phones. I want THIS phone and I want it to do what I expected it to do!  

What I expect it to do:

1. Provide me with a powerful and robust means of keeping my contacts and appointments and "ToDo"s, lists, etc., organized in an efficient manner, exceeding all the other phones out there.  [CHECK]

2.  Provide a good internet browsing experience. [CHECK. In fact it's a HUGE improvement over my previous carrier's WAP connection and Nokia browser.]

3.  Provide storage space and the means to play my mp3's with a standard 3.5mm jack, for regular headphones and car adapters.  [CHECK.  Though I haven't spent much time with this feature yet.]

4.  Provide a means to back up my phone contents.  [CHECK ... although BB Desktop Software 6.0 freezes every time I use it, I have managed to make a couple of backups.] 

5. Provide a USB connection so that I can access my phone like a flash drive. [CHECK]

6. Provide a means to add and edit my calendar entries, contacts, tasks, memos, etc. on my desktop where typing on a keyboard makes it a lot faster.  This is especially important for a new Blackberry person such as myself. There is no easy way to bring over all this old stuff from my Nokia.  [NOT CHECK!]  

Blackberry has been heavily marketing to non-enterprise users. I am a non-enterprise user. Why are so many of us having such trouble? Because their marketers and schedulers had unrealistic expectations? Of us? Of Blackberry programmers?

If I don't give up first, I guess I'll just forget about Outlook and do my backups in the Desktop Software, and otherwise connect the Torch like a USB drive.  It's just very frustrating and a big bummer after the excitement of owning this phone. 

9800 Torch on BIS through ATT
Solutions: 6,137
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: New BB user - my impressions and my story

erastus11 wrote:

This post is not about me asking for help with it.

Ok. Will you be posting another thread with repeating all of this information so someone might choose to help you out and get it working for you?

Remember one thing, this is a user to user, community support forum, staffed with some very capable volunteers -- not RIM employees.

If you want to give RIM software advice or criticism try bbsuggestions@rim.com

Good luck!

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
My Device: 9800 Torch on BIS
My Carrier: AT&T

Re: New BB user - my impressions and my story

I will do that -- thanks. (And post a question.)
9800 Torch on BIS through ATT