Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: ATT

Re: New Blackberry Torch Locking Up

Got the otter case for my phone and had the exact same problem. Contacted Otterbox and they are sending a replacement...Not sure if this will make it better. The phone works great without the Otterbox

My Device: Torch

I have the same problem.  I've discovered that the problem is the Otter Box case touches the Screen Lock button on the top left, and that button is extremely sensitive. 

Does anyone know if you can change the top buttons to difference functions?  This BB seems to only have one convenience key, and I can't figure out how to change the two on the top.

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

the function can not be changed.

Contact otterbox and explain whats happeneing, they are pretty good at resolving issues.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

My Device: BES Admin
My Carrier: AT&T

[ Edited ]

The first Torch user on my BES system has same problem with locking up, and after repeated cases of him dropping phone to IT -  I too was considering the OtterBox Commuter case as a potential cause - the soft rubber layer crumples up and keeps the 'lock' key depressed at the top.

There are enough people here with the same issue, I am going to advise him to try removing the case - will post results, will also contact Otterbox and see if there is any recourse for their product interfering with the operation of the phone. 

Only other thing I can think of is possibility cutting of the rubber flap on the otterbox that goes over that button so he can still be afforded some protection.  User is clumsy and needs the skin, also got a Mobo brand ballistic nylon holster - velcro closing - no magnets.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: AT&T

Otterbox kindly sent me a replacement case but the problem persists.  

What version OS are you running? 6.0.0.246

Are you using a holster? No

What apps are you using? Preloaded but Google bundle, CNBC, BusinessWeek, Bloomberg, WSJ news apps, Facebook, UberTwitter

Are your apps all OS 6 comapatible? Don't know

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

if you remove it from the otter box, does it still happen?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell

Hi this is the first time I'm posting here (I just got a BB torch 9800 (yay)) and I noticed that I started having the same issues as listed:

• buttons not working: all the front buttons including the call and end buttons, the BB button, and the return button.
  • The touch screen still works and will light up if you flip open the physical keyboard.

I also noticed that I too have the Otterbox case. This inevitably led me here and also to the Otterbox website where I found an useful instructional video on how to PROPERLY install the phone into the Otterbox case. Unfortunately it does not give a very detailed look on how to properly fit in the top of the phone into the case (when I try to put the phone in, the rubbery inner layer gets a little pushed around) which is the source of our collective frustration.

My advice to anyone who has the Blackberry Torch 9800 AND the Otterbox case which is often sold or given along with the phone, is to check first if the phone works well without the case on. Try it for a little while and see if the phone works (after a battery-pull for safety). Next, when you are trying to install the Otterbox case, make sure the at the buttons are not pressed down or messed up at the top, I still can't figure how to put it on 100% properly but it can be done.

Contributor
My Device: torch
My Carrier: att

I see a lot of talk about Otterbox, but does anyone know of a known issue with having a simple leather case with a magnetic closure flap causing any difficulties?

My wife and i each got new torches as our x-mas presents. Within the 10 days i had it, i've had to pull the battery 6 times to "reboot." For a 500$ dollar device that's inexcusible. The phone went back to Best Buy and was replaced with a new one. I've had the new one for three days, and have had to pull the battery twice already. So i may be going back to Best Buy again.

But my wife has had no trouble at all.

The only difference between our phones is i have a leather case that has a magnetic flap closure - and when i close the flap across the top of the case, the magnet of the flap sits right above the screen. So my question to all, and RIM, does a magnet affect the functionality of the Torch and is that what is making the phone lockup on me repeatedly?

My Device: Not Specified

I got a blackberry torch 2 days ago and just started having that problem today mostly when listening to my music... I took the battery out and it came right back on but the mintue i put my otterbox back on it would lock up again.. i have since taken that off and so far so good.. I will let yall know if that fixed the problem for sure.. 

My Device: Blackberry Torch
My Carrier: ATT

Thanks!!!  Hopefully that will fix my problem also!!!  I will see about exchanging the OB for the leather case!