Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
larrydepaoli
My Device: Torch
My Carrier: ATT

Re: New Blackberry Torch Locking Up

[ Edited ]

Wow!  The holster turned out to be the problem.  I am thrilled to know the solution and can go back to loving the Torch.  

To summarize:  If you have a Torch that is freezing up (not for a few seconds but a total lock up, where you have to pull the battery) and you are using a holster that has magnets (like the ones made for the Curve and the Bold), the cause of the frozen Torch is the effect that the magnets are having on the phone.  Change your holster!

Please use plain text.
bdok
My Device: Not Specified

Did the holster cause permanent damage or how did you fix the problem?

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

A media card full of songs and pictures will take a long time to generate the thumbnails and song playlist.

Older apps transfered to the device with Device switcher can cause issue if not compatable with OS 6.

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on #Torch. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables.

I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine and the charger was unable to keep up. My Torch and charger were both very warm and I noticed the charge indicator was not showing it being charged at times.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jan64
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Hi Knot ... can reveal which app was slowing down your CPU?

Thanks.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Social Scope (beta product) was eating up my CPU cycles the worst.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
larrydepaoli
My Device: Torch

The holster did not cause perm. damage.  Since I stopped using the old holster, the phone has not locked up one time.  It is working great.  I will be purchasing a holster that is deemed Torch compatible.  ATT has one on their site.

Please use plain text.
Contributor
undignified
My Device: Blackberry Torch

Hi,

Been using the torch for only around 3 weeks and during the first day it kept locking up. I ddnt have a holster but i had this hard rubberized case that was tight around the lock key. With the case on it kept freezing up the keypad and screen (and not because the lock button is always pressed). Since then i got a holster with a magnet made for the torch and it hasnt froze since. So i think keeping the lock button pressed for long lengths might trigger the freeze.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Interesting theory on the case causing the lock up. What OS are you running? A new one was announced today for the Torch

Please use plain text.
Contributor
undignified
My Device: Blackberry Torch

oh i ddnt exactly check what version i had back then. but it was the version before the latest release.

Please use plain text.
lil_loco
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Rogers

Hello,

I just got my Torch yesterday and already (without adding any new applications but transferring the user data and media from my 8900 Javelin) it has froze up at least 5 times in a 24h period (minus sleep).

My main noted issue is that when in portrait mode the touchscreen keyboard keys W, S, X do not respond at all and if I attemt to tap on the backspace or any of the right side keys it thinks I am tapping on the left side as well particularly in the phone application when I want to enter a 9 i will get a 79 and strangely if I want to enter 1 ill get 11.

Pulling the battery does temperarily fix the issue only sometimes. In landscape in either direction it is a general freezeup or the issue ceases (by turning the phone I can get the 'keys' to behave)

Given that the data never affected my previous phone, any suggestions for solving this headache? As much as I love playing problem solving games with this device I just dont have the time.

I am attempting a reimage but my hopes that itll fix the matter are just not there.

Please use plain text.