Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
miksons
My Device: Torch 9800

OS Update

My phone is new,  but the OS version is only 244. I know a later version is available, but when I check for updates on the phone it tells me there are no updates available. Can anyone tell me why?

Does the update check only check for app updates? If so how do you check for OS updates?

Thanks.

Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: OS Update

When you do the check on your device, it only searches for updates from your carrier.

You can, however, upgrade to a newer OS from any carrier, as long as the OS is for your device, so the one posted at the top of this forum will work for you.

Brief instructions as follows:

Download and install the OS from the link in the thread above.

On your PC, navigate to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research in Motion\AppLoader.  At the bottom of the list of files and folders, you'll see a file called "vendor.xml".  Highlight and delete this file.

Connect your device to the PC with your USB cable.

In that same list of files, towards the top, you'll see an executable called "Loader".  It will have a little phone icon next to it.  Double click on this to upgrade your OS.

Please post back here if you have any questions.

Good luck!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Contributor
miksons
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: OS Update

Thank you for the help.