Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
ironlizard
My Device: BlackBerry Torch

Only retrieving filtered Gmail

Hi, I'm new to here.

I have recently bought a BB Torch and have successfully set up my Gmail account as personal email.

The problem is, all inbound mails (except spams) to my Gmail account causes unread message indicator to be on, even though I have filters in my Gmail account that automatically archieve some of the mails.

Is there a way to only receive the mails that got past the filters in Gmail to be considered unread messages?

Super Contributor
elessar
My Device: Z30 | Z10 | Playbook

Re: Only retrieving filtered Gmail

This is a bit of a Catch-22. When a Gmail message is archived by the Gmail account, it will not show in the specific Gmail folder on your BB (without going to Filters > All mail), but will show as an unread message in the BB "Messages" folder. You can accomplish what you've asked here by going back to your filters and making anything archiived also to be marked unread. Those messages will not show as unread on your BB. But, of course the message will be marked unread on the Gmail web interface as well. If you can live with that, you're set.

Hope this helps. ~ecm
ironlizard

>making anything archiived also to be marked unread

You mean marking the archived ones as read in Gmail filter?
Hmm, sounds ok but I wonder if there is any way I can keep unread archived mails unread.
Super Contributor
elessar
My Device: Z30 | Z10 | Playbook

Yes, I meant marking anything archived as unread. The read/unread status is perhaps the most immediate coordination between the Gmail account and the BB. This is is due to the IMAP protocol. I'm not aware of any way around it.

If you don't want to have the archived messages automatically marked "Read" you could leave your setup as is. Then, set up a label, such as "To read". When you read a new message on your BB, use this new label if you want to review it on your PC. Then, if you set up this new label in Gmail (web) as a 2nd in "Multiple inboxes", you can keep track of the messages you need to review. (See "multiple inboxes" in Gmail labs.) This might suit you better. ~ecm
ironlizard

Hmm, I can use is:inbox to filter only those not archived mails in multiple inboxes, but how do I set my BB to only get from this inbox?