Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-mobile

PLEASE MEND MY TORCH TO WORK WITH TWITTER & FACEBOOK!!!!

In June last year, I upgraded my mobile to a blackberry bold 9700 on a 24 month contract. A few months later, when my husband's contract was due for renewal, he got an HTC Desire, which he didn't particularly like, but I did. I bought him a phone off ebay and have had no problems with it. From Oct last year, I was using both the BB and HTC by swapping and changing my sim card between them with no problems to do with service at all. Everything worked ok with both phones. In June this year, I decided that as the HTC has very little internal phone memory, and kept telling me it was low on space (even though I had moved everything I possibly could, to the memory card!!), this would affect the function of the phone by not syncing as it should, I decided to use the BB predominately.

At the beginning of June, I needed to transfer some photos from my Bold to my laptop. I therefore connected my Bold, and transfered the photos via the desktop software. It was at this point that I noticed that it was possible to upgrade the OS on a Bold from OS5 to OS6 through the desktop software. This seemed pretty straightforward and seemed to go ok. Over the next couple of weeks, I very occasionally noticed a blue screen saying that there had been a error and something has shut down. This to me was only a minor inconvenience, as all I had to do was press the key to the right hand side of the trackball, and this message would just go away, and the phone just seemed to function perfectly normally. I had absolutely no other problems apart from that appearing now and then. I can't remember what it said, as I didn't take a great deal of notice, as the phone still worked perfectly well (stupid I know, but as these are the days of just pressing Ctrl Alt + Del on a pc/laptop automatically to restart it if there is a problem, that's my mindset, rather than trying to get to the root of the problem!).

A couple of weeks later, I kept on seeing BB Torches, and whilst I adored the keypad of the Bold and even with the upgraded software, which I also really loved, I was missing the touchscreen of the HTC. I therefore decided to sell both the Bold and HTC to get a Torch.

I searched and searched on eBay for a Torch that was locked to my carrier - T-Mobile. This proved difficult to get a good used one for a decent price. I then saw a listing on eBay for NEW, SEALED BOXED unlocked Torches, with a company who had a great seller rating. I bought one. It arrived exactly as expected. There were very clear instructions on how to unlock the phone from the Vodafone network with the unlock code that had been provided. I followed the instructions to the letter, and it seemed to unlock ok. I noticed however, that the only type of e-mail account that was available to set up, was an ENTERPRISE account and my e-mails were not coming through. I sent a text to the seller, who immediately phoned me back informing me that I needed to phone T-Mobile to get them to update my account with the new IEMI number and BB pin number. He was such a lovely helpful guy! :-D I can't fault him at all :-) I phoned T-Mobile to explain that e-mails were not coming through and that I might need to give them the updated pin. I was talked through the process of registering it on the wireless network through Host Routing Table.They went through the type of reception I was getting and whether the letters denoting which reception system it was using were in upper or lower case. Everything seemed to be correct at that point. Later that evening my e-mails were still not coming through, so I again phoned T-Mobile, who put me through to the techinical team, and managed to sort it so that Internet Account was available on e-mail set up, as well as Enterprise Account. He reset the configuration on my e-mail account, whch worked a dream! Later that evening, I saw that it was easy to swap the information from one BB to another by using the desktop software. I backed up all files from my Bold and transferred them to my Torch.

However...MOST internet applications work fine, but some don't - ie Twitter comes up with "java.lang.ClassCast Exception" Facebook says "We cannot reach the Facebook server at this time. Please try again later (100)" eBay mobile, is not a problem whatsoever. I have noticed also, when trying to set up the various themes that I downloaded, and supposedly transferred on to my Torch, that they aren't available to select through the display menu, although they are listed in my applications when I go into the application management bit.

I have numerous times deleted fb & twitter through the application management route, and downloaded them from Blackberry.com. I have deleted my e-mail account, service books etc as advised, re-registered my phone on the wireless network through Host Routing Table. All with the same results

I do also now and again still get that fatal exception blue screen saying that there has been a problem with my computer and I need to press ctrl alt+del to restart.is this a problem with OS6?? I have tried to make a note of exactly what it says, but there was alot of it, and I was unable to make a note of it. 

I have been on to T-Mobile again, given them the BB pin, and asked them to see if it is anything their end that might be stopping fb & twitter working. They came back, and confirmed everything was set up correctly, and there should be no reason for them not to work,  and suggested that it was a software conflct due to the fact that the phone was initally locked to the vodafone network. Indeed, when the phone boots up, it has the vodafone logo showing for a couple of seconds.

I have asked BB help on twitter & I keep being sent round in circles!! I am getting REALLY frustrated now!! SURELY!! SURELY!!!! There has got to be some kind of fix for this problem!! It's not uncommon for people to unlock phones for use on other networks. 

I THINK and HOPE that I have now included everything that I have had a problem with, and the processes I have carried out to try and rectify the problem.

I am using OS6 bundle 2647. My service provider is T-Mobile in the UK

I hope this issue can be resolved, as it is an amazing phone. I'm sorry to have rambled on alot, but I'm great at forgetting those little details that turn out to be a little bit crucial.

I am grateful for any help! Thank you!

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry PRIV, Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook,BT Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: PLEASE MEND MY TORCH TO WORK WITH TWITTER & FACEBOOK!!!!

I dont think you have the BIS service books, take a peek at this thread

http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Torch/Internet-use-on-Torch9800-with-T-Mobile/m-p/...

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Contributor

Ok! I managed to get the restore thing up, but how do I create the file to use as a backup on my desktop with the service books if I no longer have another BB which has the correct service books? How do I manually get the service books, when I have previously tried deleting them and re-installing them from scratch? :'-( xxx

Contributor

Ok!!! carried on through the pages, and just seen another bit! I will try that. Thanks :-) xxx
Highlighted
Contributor

There are too many links & pages that its getting confusing trying to work out how to get the correct service books if I only have 1 BB device. SO confusing!! Could I trouble you to provide step by step instructions, so I don't muck anything up! Thank you! :-D xxx