Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
scindia
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Bell
Accepted Solution

Password Keeper missing after upgrade to v6.0 bundle 3049

Hi,

I was having an issue with my BB Torch wherein the device won't boot up.  Upon the advice of the support folks, I was able to start it in Safe mode.  However, the App World was missing - and hence I could not update any app, or install a new one.

I took a backup, and upgraded the device software, and then restored all the data.  Now, the App World is there, but the Password Keeper is missing.

As per some other instructions in the forum, I tried to restore it from the Desktop Manager, but it does not show any such option for Password Keeper.  Please help - as I need to use the Password Keeper.

Thx!!!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Password Keeper missing after upgrade to v6.0 bundle 3049

Hello,

Check first on your BB if Password Keeper is installed (Options > Device > Application Management -- depending on your OS level, that sequence may be slightly different). If it is installed, then hunt deeper for the icon. Check all folders and make sure "Show All" is active (in case the icon is hidden).

If it is not installed, then use the Desktop Software to install it.

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
Contributor
scindia

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I had already checked ALL the folders, as well as created a SHOW ALL to ensure that I see all the icons.  I do not see the icon.  I am doing another restore right now, from an earlier backup, to see, if that will help.  I will also check under Options as well.

Using the Desktop Software, I am not sure how to install it , when it does not even come up as an option.

Thx!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Oh, sorry...I had no way to know that you'd already tried that.

Nevertheless, another restore will be useless. It's an app that is missing, and restore only handles data. Here's the relevant instructions:

• KB14473 How to install an application on a BlackBerry smartphone using the Desktop Software

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
scindia

Hi,

So far nothing worked.  The password keeper is NOT listed under Options > Device > Application Management.  Also, tried with the Desktop Manager software, and it does not come as an option under the Applications.  Is there a way to download it directly from some site, and install it directly, or via Desktop Manager?

Please advice.

Thx!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

The Desktop Software is the method to install it...and I know of no others, so there must be something amiss in the configuration...

When you follow the instructions in the above KB, what are the first 5 items on the list in the Desktop Software, when you do step 4 (clicking the + key button)?

Do you also have installed (to your PC) the exact version of the BB OS that is installed on your BB?

Do you have more than one BB OS Package installed to your PC?

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
scindia

Hi,

As per the KB14473, I have checked the steps given under "Using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0".  There is no Password Keeper in the list, and ALL the software listed, shows as Installed.  Also I do not see any "+" sign, against any Applications, all of them only have an 'x' for remove/delete.

My Desktop Software lists as version 6.1.0.35, released on June 7, 2011 (Bundle 34).  I am on Win XP SP3 with all the latest fixes.  When I run a Check for Updates for the Desktop Software, it lists that there are no updates available.  Please see the link, for the image/screenshot :-

http://www.4shared.com/photo/2i2u14_3/BBTorch9800Scindia.html

And I have the BB - Torch 9800, with the v6.0 Bundle 3049 (v6.0.0.706, Platform 6.6.0.246).  Is this the same as the one on the PC?

I do not believe that I have more than one BB OS Package installed on my PC.  Under my computer's add/remove programs, I have only 1 Desktop Software listed.  How can I check and confirm?

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

scindia wrote:

Hi,

As per the KB14473, I have checked the steps given under "Using BlackBerry Desktop Software 6.0".  There is no Password Keeper in the list, and ALL the software listed, shows as Installed.  Also I do not see any "+" sign, against any Applications, all of them only have an 'x' for remove/delete.

While not quite an exact answer to my question (what are the first 5...), the image makes it clear. The first thing on that list should be other than what it is...the first item should be your BB OS itself. What your list shows is only your add-on apps, and none of the core apps are listed...and Password Keeper is a core app, so we need to get it showing in that list in order for you to reinstall it.

scindia wrote:

My Desktop Software lists as version 6.1.0.35, released on June 7, 2011 (Bundle 34).  I am on Win XP SP3 with all the latest fixes.  When I run a Check for Updates for the Desktop Software, it lists that there are no updates available.  Please see the link, for the image/screenshot :-

http://www.4shared.com/photo/2i2u14_3/BBTorch9800Scindia.html

The current version is 6.1.0.36...I recommend you update that...it is interesting that itself reports no updates. As such, please manually download and install the latest version:

And it is that image that tells me that things are not correct...there should be "BlackBerry n.n.n System Software" first, followed by "BlackBerry n.n.n Core Applications", followed by many things before it even gets to those that your screen image shows.

scindia wrote:

And I have the BB - Torch 9800, with the v6.0 Bundle 3049 (v6.0.0.706, Platform 6.6.0.246).  Is this the same as the one on the PC?

From what you've so far told me, no. Your PC needs two BlackBerry things installed to it...the Desktop Software (which I need for you to update as per above) and ALSO your installed BB OS package (and, btw, for future reference, they are installed in that order...Desktop Software first followed by the OS Package). You download and install, to your PC, the OS package that is installed to your BB...then the Desktop Software can correctly present you with the things you need, including Password Keeper. You need to find the exact OS package that you have installed from this download portal:

From what you've told me so far, if you navigate to the Bell Mobility section and choose your model BB, the very first one should be correct (file name 9800AllLang_PBr6.0.0_rel3049_PL6.6.0.246_A6.0.0.706_Bell_Mobility_Inc.exe). Download that, install it to your PC, and then try launching the Desktop Software again and see if more things are offered to you in that view.

scindia wrote:

I do not believe that I have more than one BB OS Package installed on my PC.  Under my computer's add/remove programs, I have only 1 Desktop Software listed.  How can I check and confirm?

From what you've told me, you have NO BB OS Package installed to your PC...and you need it (as per above).

Good luck and let us know!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
Contributor
scindia

Hi,

Thanks for your persistent and great support so far.  I believe that I have understood everything that you have advised.  I have downloaded the latest Desktop Software from the http://swdownloads.blackberry.com site.  I have also downloaded the file, 9800AllLang_PBr6.0.0_rel3049_PL6.6.0.246_A6.0.0.706_Bell_Mobility_Inc.exe, by navigating from the Bell Mobility wensite.

However, I need 1 clarification from you.  Do you want me to install both, or the latter one only?  If only one, then you need the latter one.  If both, then it seems the order will be the Desktop Software first, and then the 9800AllLang file.

Please confirm, and I will do the needful, and let you know.

Thx!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Install both, this order please:

1. Install the Desktop Software first, but don't run it yet (it might offer at the end of the install)
  2. Next install the BB OS package you downloaded from Bell (that sort of modifies the Desktop Software so that it is specific to your BB)
  3. Now launch the Desktop Software, and connect your BB to the USB cord when prompted. If it does not prompt (it may not, depending on some factors), then just connect at any time after the Desktop Software is running.
  4. Now open the Applications section of the Desktop Software and, hopefully, the first items will be as I mentioned and Password Keeper will now be in the list, available for you to install

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.