Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
ginocarlos
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: Videotron

Personal hotspot?

Hello all,

I would like to know if it's possible to turn my Torch 9810 into a personal wifi hotspot.

I'd like to connect my iPad to the internet using my BB provider (as a "router").

Thanks a lot!!

ginocarlos

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Personal hotspot?

Once upgraded to OS 7.1 and the carrier allows it you can.

It is not free on all carriers, check before you use it or some high charges could be incurred.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ginocarlos

Thanks so much, I'll try and see.

Have a great day!! :Clap:

ginocarlos

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ginocarlos

Hi again,

I've informed my carrier of my intention to use my smartphone as a personal hotspot, and they've confirmed that I should get extra charges only if I exceed my monthly uploads/downloads limits.

However, I tried to install OS 7.1 on my Torch 9810 (using the following instructions http://crackberry.com/blackberry-101-how-install-or-upgrade-new-rim-operating-system-os), but I never get to see the software on the Application Loader page of my BlackBerry Desktop Manager. Therefore, impossible for me to install it, and the 7.0 version doesn't have the Mobile Hotspot option...

Do you have other instructions (maybe more up-to-date) to help me succeed?

Thanks again so much!

- ginocarlos

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

I use this, dont forget to remove old version of OS that might have been installed from add remove programs.

Manual device OS upgrade instructions:

1. First locate your carrier and the OS file you wish to use.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/support/downloads/download_sites.jsp

2. Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion and unplug BlackBerry. Get DM here http://us.blackberry.com/apps-software/desktop/

3. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

4. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml."

5. This step is not needed unless there is an issue on next steps. Use BBSAK from BBSAK.org and wipe the device (after doing a complete backup) then after you get the error 507 (no OS installed) then proceed to step 6

6. remove internet connection to PC and reboot PC.

7. Plug in BlackBerry and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file was in.

8. if you did Step 5, restore from back up. Follow this KB if needed http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB10339

Enjoy the new OS.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ginocarlos

Thanks!!!

I'll try that.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ginocarlos

Allrighty, I followed step 1.

What if the software isn't available yet from my carrier?

Is this one OK?

http://crackberry.com/official-blackberry-torch-9810-os-710342-telenor-norway

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
ginocarlos

Please use plain text.
ljplanet
My Device: torch
My Carrier: orange

I've got a Torch (and its seen better days) but I've got little or no technical skill and need to set it up as a hotspot. I've tried BlackBerry Answers (which seems to have been disabled) and the help function is neither use nor ornament. Is it possible and is there an easy, non-clever technical step by step guide to turning my phone into a hotspot?

Thanks all...
Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.1.3247), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

ljplanet wrote:
I've got a Torch (and its seen better days) but I've got little or no technical skill and need to set it up as a hotspot. I've tried BlackBerry Answers (which seems to have been disabled) and the help function is neither use nor ornament. Is it possible and is there an easy, non-clever technical step by step guide to turning my phone into a hotspot?

Thanks all...

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

While the answers actually are already posted above, they may perhaps not be formatted to your desires. Hence...

Prerequisites:

1. You must have an adequate OS level on your BB...it must be OS 7.1.x.x...anything lesser and it will not work via the native BB apps (since, prior to OS7.1, there is no native BB app for this function):
    • KB23393 How to check the model number and version of installed BlackBerry device software on a BlackBerry smartphone
  2. You must have an adequate data plan from your mobile service provider. Some allow it "free and clear", others charge an extra fee, still others forbid it completely. But you must ask them that question.

Configuring:

1. KB31857 How to setup and manage a Mobile Hotspot Connection

In addition, your carrier may have a separate app that they can provide you this function...if so, you must obtain that from them, and find out from them the specific prerequisites for it's use (which may or may not be the same as the prerequisites I've listed above).

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.