Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Kallisti333
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9810
Accepted Solution

Phone Shutting Off While Listening to Music

I have a Blackberry Torch 9810. About a week or so ago, I updated my phone (cause a really insistant notification popped up and updating the **bleep** thing seemed to be the only way to get it to leave me alone). If I can read the version information correctly, I updated it's software to 7.1 Bundle 1997 (v 7.1.0.694, Platform 5.1.0.507). For a little while, all was well. 

Then, while listening to music while out and about town, my song came to an end and nothing came up after it. After several seconds of silence, I pulled out my phone and tried to get it to play the next song (I usually just put it on shuffle, and there's no way for me to go through the whole rotation). But the entire phone was off. Pushing the power button would not get it to come back on. I flipped open the back case, pulled out the battery, checked the connections, and popped it back in. A few seconds later the phone turned on and proceeded to go through the laboriously slow loading screen. When I navigated back to the music section of the media section, there was a green bar at the bottom of the screen and the number of songs was ticking up from zero, as if I had just synced it and put in new music.

Since then, this has happened several times. Some of the time the phone has been in my pocket, but not always. It  only happens at the end of a song. The phone will not respond to any button presses until the battery has been removed and then put back. 

So, I implore this community, what should I do to fix this issue? Please help!

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Phone Shutting Off While Listening to Music

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

It sounds like the music play is losing it's stored catalog of songs on your BB from time to time. Further, it seems like playing a song and completing that is forcing this to happen, along with locking/crashing your BB. From the sounds of that, it sounds to me like OS corruption...for which a clean OS reload would be the best remedy attempt.

The simplest way is to, on a PC (you cannot do this on MAC):

1) Uninstall, from your PC, any BB OS packages

2) Make sure you have the BB Desktop Software already installed

3) Download and install, to your PC, the BB OS package you desire:

4) If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

5) Launch the Desktop Software and connect your BB...the software should offer you the OS package you installed to your PC. If, during the process, your BB presents a "507" error, simply unplug the USB cord from the BB and re-insert it...don't do anything else...this should allow the install to continue.

Don't forget to backup.

If you are on MAC, you are limited to only your carriers sanctioned OS packages...but can still use any levels that they currently sanction. See this procedure:

• KB19915How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBerry Desktop Software

Optionally, you can bypass the Desktop Software and install any compatible (e.g., for your exact BB Model Number) OS package to a BB via this procedure:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC. If that OS package is from a carrier other than the carrier for which your BB was originally manufactured, then delete, on your PC, all copies of VENDOR.XML...there will be at least one, and perhaps 2, and they will be located in or similarly to (it changes based on your Windows version) these folders:

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
  • C:\Users\(your Windows UserName)\AppData\Roaming\Research In Motion\BlackBerry\Loader XML

Be sure that you remove, from your PC, any other BB device OS packages as having more than one installed to the PC can cause conflicts with this procedure.

You may also want to investigate the use of BBSAK (bbsak.org) to perform the wipe it is capable of.

You may also want to try this procedure to perhaps narrow down the precise causal item:

1. Load your OS "bare bones"...if anything is optional, do not install it.
  2. If the behavior presents immediately, then try a different OS with step 1
  3. If the behavior does not immediately present, then run for as long as it takes for you to be sure that the behavior will not present.
  4. Add one thing -- no matter how tempting, just one.
  5. If the behavior does not present immediately, then again run for long enough to be sure it will not have the same problem
  6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all things are loaded or the behavior presents

When the behavior presents, you know the culprit...the last thing you loaded.

If the behavior does not re-present, then you know that either step 1 or 2 cured it.

If the behavior presents no matter what, then you likely have a hardware level issue for which no amount of OS or software can cure.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Contributor
cochamarco
My Device: BB Bold

try to scan your memory with anti virus software
New Contributor
Kallisti333

So I followed the steps you provided for the first solution...except for the first one. It did not seem obvious how to remove any previously installed OS software from my PC. Thinking about it now, it seems like I should try checking through the Add/Remove Software tool available through the control panel. I just wanted to see if this was the right thing to do. If not, could you tell me how to remove the software?

Following all the other steps didn't lead to any sort of prompt for installing the OS, or any other activity other than what it normally does when I plug my Blackberry into my PC. So, I tried re-syncing some music, which after a few days of testing, has proved not to work.

So again, my main concern is removing any OS software I may already have. This was the one step that wasn't elaborated on in you solution. (Incidentally, I scanned the phone with my anti-virus and got nothing, which is what I expected. But at this point, I'm somewhat desperate.)

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

Kallisti333 wrote:

So I followed the steps you provided for the first solution...except for the first one. It did not seem obvious how to remove any previously installed OS software from my PC. Thinking about it now, it seems like I should try checking through the Add/Remove Software tool available through the control panel. I just wanted to see if this was the right thing to do. If not, could you tell me how to remove the software?

That's exactly right...since BB OS packages are installed to the PC/Windows, they would be removed from the PC/Windows in the normal manner. In the normal list (either "Add/Remove Programs" or "Uninstall a program", depending on your Windows version), it would say something like "BlackBerry Device Software..." and include, in that line item, the BB Model number as well as the BB OS level that it contains. If there are no such line items, then there is no BB OS package installed to the PC...and, for this to really work properly, there needs to be one (the one you want to put onto your BB). What you are targeting is two BB-related line items in that Windows installed programs list...one for the Desktop Software, and another for the BB OS Package.

Kallisti333 wrote:

Following all the other steps didn't lead to any sort of prompt for installing the OS

Hmmm...interesting...it may be that the version you installed to your PC (via step 3 above) is the version already installed, in which case it might well not make the offer. If such is the case, then the best way to "force" it to install that to your BB is to bypass the Desktop Software and proceed directly to LOADER.EXE...you would navigate to that via Windows Explorer and/or a CMD/DOS window, and then run it. You find LOADER.EXE in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader.

You can read more about this procedure (LOADER.EXE, bypassing the Desktop Software) here:

Note that while written for "reload" and the Storm, it can be used to upgrade, downgrade, or reload any BB device model -- it all depends on the OS package you download and install to your PC.

It also is possible for the Desktop Software to skip over it if the installed (to the PC) BB OS package does not match exactly the model number of the BB. Also it will skip if there is no BB OS package installed to the PC at all. Further, it will skip it if the OS package came from a different carrier and the VENDOR.XML files were not removed.

Good luck and let us know!

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor
Kallisti333

That seems to have fixed the issue. Sorry it took so long to respond. Things have been crazy the last couple of weeks. Plus, the very nature of the problem meant that it was hard to track if it had been solved. So, thanks for the help, random person I met on the Internet. You've done much more for me than RIM ever has.

Hall of Famer II
sdgardne

You are most welcome...enjoy!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates