Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9860
My Carrier: OPTUS

Phone stuck in update process

Hi Guys I have a torch 9860, I pressed update software when it appeared it said it would be out of action for 2 hours. I woke up the next morning expecting it to be completed but have found it frozen in backing up data at 11% SOCIAL FEEDS 0% after giving it an hour this morning and seeing nothing happening.

I tried a soft reset, this did nothing so I tried a hard reset this time the process started again, I had no choice this time in froze at 8% SOCIAL FEEDS 0%  can't do anything.

What else can I do?

Elite II
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Re: Phone stuck in update process

Hello corabko

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

There are two methods of recovery for you to try:

(Credit JSanders)

One:

• Open Blackberry Desktop Software & Connect your device with PC using USB cable, without inserting battery.
  • You will get three option Retry, Update Or Cancel, then click on update.
  • Once it is to the stage of the update "initializing handheld", then insert battery.
  • If this does not work, and you remain stuck on the backing up the Social Feeds database, go to the second method below.

Secondly:

• Start your BlackBerry in Safe mode.  Article ID: KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Modehttp://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB17877
  • Connect to the BlackBerry Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later.
  • IF you cannot connect or your Desktop Software does not recognize your device while in Safe Mode, please follow the directions here to force the detect:  Article ID: KB10144 How to force the detection of the BlackBerry smartphone using Application Loader
  • Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. 
  • Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

Trying to open in safe mode it stops at "optus" network provider screen cant get to safe mode disclaimer trying either option on KB10144 i guess i hopeless

New Contributor

sorry just wasn't patient enough
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi Guys managed to turn the phone on in safe mode but can't get it to work with the software to let me do the next step tried the KB10144 but it didn't force to connect sat their saying please wait for 2 hours

Also when tried the first way of suggested it started the backup before I could do anything and stopped at smart card backup

Elite II

corabko wrote:

Hi Guys managed to turn the phone on in safe mode but can't get it to work with the software to let me do

Hello 

If you're able to start your device on Safe mode then connect your device and run Desktop Software and allow your handheld to connect. If you are prompted to upgrade, cancel the upgrade for later. then on Desktop Software Go to Device > delete > SELECT DATA > select to delete both the Social Feeds and Smart Card databases, and follow the remaining prompts to complete it. Now, you can return and click to upgrade the device through the Desktop Manager, or reboot the BlackBerry in normal mode and continue the over the air upgrade.

If it fails then you have to follow  Article ID: KB10144 . If you already followed then do let us know in detail particularly at which stage you're having problem.

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
New Contributor

When do KB10144 at point Once prompted to Retry, Update or Cancel, click Update. If available updates are found Desktop Manager will prompt you to Get Update, Update Later or View other versions.

it comes up repair or cancel

if press cancel it just disconnects and stops

the sits for two hours on connecting did nothing

but

Then on third attempt it did bring up get update etc...

So did it said download 100% then the green part got about 1/4 across took good 10 to 15minutes then error occured downloading software check internet connection which I did it is fine but everytime click retry the same thing keeps coming up

Elite II

Hi there ,

What about the first part , On safe mode have you tried to delete those social feed database and then continue with update OTA .

Secondly , when you try KB10144  Apart from Get Update are you able to see the option View Other Version on left corner ? If you're then click on it, It will show all available OS for your device then you can choose anyone from that list.

So Restart your PC and try it again .Do let us know.

Highlighted
New Contributor

5th attempt it worked thanks

Elite II

Hey corabko

That's Great .. Enjoy your BlackBerry again !

But please my advice , if possible never perform an OTA device Software update ,Whenever you get any notification for any OS update just connect your BlackBerry to a PC and  use BlackBerry Desktop Software for this process .