Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810
Accepted Solution

Phone won't accept password

Hi.  I have a torch 9800.  I was texting last night and my password worked fine.  Then all of a sudden I couldn't log in.  I tried the SIM card in a different blackberry and it was fine.  ATT have me try a SIM unlock passcode and it didn't change anything.  I'm pretty sure it's the phone, but don't know how to fix it.  I'm at 8/10 login attempts.   I saw that you can reset if you go over 10 (but will lose all your info).  How do you reset?  thanks!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: Phone won't accept password

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Based on your report, there are a few possibilities. The only one that should result in data wipe is if it's a user-created device lock password. And there is no way to bypass that...it is high security. If you already know how to properly type your BB password on a PC keyboard when connected via USB, then you can do that to reset the counter.

But if it's a different code, then the remedy might be different, so please tell us exactly what the prompt you are seeing says...it could be a few different things.

Be very very careful...if it is indeed a destructive security password, then you only have 2 chances left to get it right. Hopefully you already have a good backup of your device (everyone should, after all).

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

Thanks for the reply.  the only prompt I have is the "Enter Password (8/10)".  There were no other messages that came up, and I know I have the right password as I use it on my work blackberry as well. 

I'll try the USB link at home tonight and see if the phone accepts the password via computer keyboard. 

If I have to wipe the phone to be able to use it, that's okay.    Is there a way to reset the phone and set a new password if I fail all 10/10 password attempts?

Thanks!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Mrbarley wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  the only prompt I have is the "Enter Password (8/10)".  There were no other messages that came up, and I know I have the right password as I use it on my work blackberry as well. 

That definitely sounds like the user created device lock password...only that will work. It may be a subtle keyboard usage thing...alt, caps, sym, etc. Or the keyboard may be somehow not in the proper state. A batt-pull reboot can reset the keyboard to a normal default state and allow you to enter your password as normal. But, again, be careful...only 2 chances left.

Mrbarley wrote:

I'll try the USB link at home tonight and see if the phone accepts the password via computer keyboard. 

As I said, this is only useful if you have done it before...if you've never done it before in this manner, then you may actually not quite know what the exact password characters are (as per alt, caps, sym, etc. usage).

Mrbarley wrote:

If I have to wipe the phone to be able to use it, that's okay.    Is there a way to reset the phone and set a new password if I fail all 10/10 password attempts?

After the 10th failure, the BB will wipe clean, including removing the password. It will be just like it was when you first received it...nice and new, with nothing about any user-created things at all.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code