Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: o2

Please Help, So Sad :(

I bought my Torch 9800 a few months ago and found that whenever i rebooted it, duplicate folders would appear on the homescreen and it would also reset all my folders that i had organised, eg facebook moved into instant messaging.

I tried many things to rectify this, including a battery pull, resetting the phone etc. My hubby somehow managed to get my phone back to how it had been before the reboot whilst syncing it, but it was only a temporary solution as each time i rebooted it after this, the same problem occured.

So we returned it to the shop, they sent it off for repair and today i went back to the shop. They had just given me the next upgrade on the 9800, seems the same, just looks a bit slimmer.

Anyway, i reinstalled everything, set up email etc etc and then came the dreaded reboot after i uninstalled a theme....and those stupid folders are back. Smiley Sad Smiley Sad

I feel so sad and frustrated. Not many other people seem to have this problem so i dont know what i'm doing wrong. Could it be to do with a particular theme or app installed in my phone?

I tried to delete them from application management after seeing this advice, but the duplicate folders are not on the list there.

What shall i do now? Please help Smiley Sad

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: Singtel

Re: Please Help, So Sad :(

Hey,

It will easier to help, if u could like upload some screen shots of the problem. Use a software in ur bb to do that, or just use your cam. 

Anupam

If you like my posts, Press LIKE, so that i can feel your appreciations. Smiley Happy
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Sorry for taking so long to reply, i stupidly thought the problem was sorted after i did a wipe on my phone. I thought perhaps the problem kept occuring because of a particular theme i had installed. But did a reboot today, and those stupid folders are back. Please see the pic below and somebody help me Smiley Sad

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

I don't see any duplicate folders on the screenshot you posted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

^ Music, pictures, downloads etc - duplicates. And also stuff out of applications like sheet to go, slideshow etc, these have come out of the applications folder too.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900
My Carrier: AT&T

Okay, so you're saying there are two each of those folders?  They're just not pictured on the screenshot, is why I ask.

Do you still have the theme on the device.  I did notice this happen a few times when changing themes.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

^ Yeah sorry about that, i couldnt fit in all the orignal folders and the dupes together for the screenshot. But original folders have icons on them and the dupes as you can see are just blank.

Nope, i deliberately didn't go anywhere near the few themes i thought might be part of the problem but to no avail Smiley Sad. And the problem also only ever happen when i reboot, not when i change themes.

What did you do when you had this problem?

Regular Contributor
My Device: blah

[ Edited ]

It happens to me whenever I try a new/different theme... the folders that I had created and organized myself sometimes disappear, and the original folders & icons that were set-up (or ones I've hidden) end up cluttering my screen. However, it doesn't usually do this for me whenever I reboot after installing/removing apps and what-not, only when I change the theme or when I have a Blackberry device update.

What are you pressing to do a reboot? And when does this issue occur - when installing/removing apps, when changing themes, when using WIFI, etc.?

When I uninstall or install an app thru App World, it asks if I'd like to reboot the device afterwards, and I'll click yes -- but that hasn't destroyed my folder settings (unless it's a theme).

Whenever I need to do a reboot, I press the LEFT ALT + RIGHT SHIFT + DEL buttons together, similar to the CTRL + ALT + DEL buttons you press on a computer. Using this method hasn't messed with my folders.

It's possible that you're trying to delete Blackberry-installed/default folders and so whenever you reboot or have data/internet access, the info is automatically downloaded to your device and the folders emerge once again.

It could be that the folders/settings are saved/loaded via a service book, and there's really nothing you can do with that. (Some of the service books are what installs/displays all those icons to stuff you don't use. You can delete them but they keep coming back!)

You can delete service books but it's only temporary, because they'll be added again (automatically) once your phone has data/internet access. To see all the service books and delete them (again, temporary), go to: OPTIONS > DEVICE > ADVANCED SYSTEM SETTINGS > SERVICE BOOK.

Hope this helps! Good luck in keeping your screen clutter free! ;-)

P.S. - You can try to "hide" the offending folders instead of deleting them so that the next time they are inadvertently installed/added to the homescreen, you won't see them. Just select (don't click) on each folder/icon you wish to hide & press the Blackberry button to the left of your trackpad and choose "HIDE" from the menu. (Make sure the "Show All" option is unchecked or else you will see all of the icons/folders you've hidden.)

Highlighted
New Contributor

^ Thankyou for such a detailed reply!

The problem only occurs on rebooting, i've had no problem with changing themes. The reboot happens when i uninstall an app or theme on app world. Today app world asked if i wanted to update it, i said yes, it then had to reboot and ta da, stupid folders!

It's just so frustrating having to reorganise all my folders again and i feel that having a phone shouldn't be so much hassle.

True i could hide the folders, but just knowing that they are still there would bug me to no end.

I feel really disappointed in the Torch Smiley Sad