Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Telstra

Poor WIFI reception

I have a Playbook (with OS2) and the WIFI reception is very poor. My laptop (with 801g) gives better reception than this Playbook, which is supposed to be 801n. The router is a DGND3300. There is an extender as well, which makes no difference, on or off. The position of the Playbook - vertcal or horizontal - sometimes affects reception, as does which hand it"s held in. (Yes, really). The wifi reception is so poor that the tablet is almost useless, unless it's within 10-15 feet of the router.

I don't know whether it's involved or not but I can't get the Bluetooth to work. It seems to be connected but definitely isn't (I've tried a Blackberry Torch 9800 and 9810, neither will bluetooth connect (or bridge).

Other than than, all functions seem to work fine.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Ian

Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Poor WIFI reception

Are you on OS 2 on teh playbook? it has made my wifi so much better.

for bridge

delete the BlueTooth Bridge profiles on both devices, update bridge app if not done already

Then perform a Battery pull please, with the BlackBerry smartphone powered ON, remove the battery 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot device. This will clear all cache like rebooting a PC.

on Playbook press power button and both Vol + - buttons for 10 seconds to reboot it.

setup bridge again and see if it persists.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Device: 9700 Bold
My Carrier: Telstra

Re: Poor WIFI reception

Definitely operating on OS2. Still has very poor WIFI reception. To illustrate this, the 9800 and 9810, my Nokia N8 and my (very old - 801g equipped) laptop will all pick up the WIFI. The weird (really weird) thing about the Playbook is that sometimes, I'm picking up maximum signal srength, then seconds or minutes later, the reception will completely disappear.

I did as you said and have gotten the Bridge to work - many thanks - very much appreciated.

Re the WIFI, it's more or less rendered the Playbook irrelevant, since I only bought it to be a WIFI "mini-computer". I can use the Torch instead but I'm left wondering why I got the Playbook. At present I'm just using it as a book reader (and in that respect, it's very good) but I had hoped for so much more......

One other small irritation is that the Playbook won't play .wmv files (and **sometimes** .mpeg files. eople send me humorous e-mails, with .wmv etc attachments and I keep getting "the media is not supported" etc.

I wish Blackberry has put just a little extra effort into the Playbook - it could have been so much more than the sum of its parts. As it is, I feel I might have been better off with (forgive the heresy) an iPad 2.

Again, thank you so much for taking the time to respond. It was very kind of you.

Ian