Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Developer
ecustomer
My Device: Z10

Poor build quality can diminish the brand and hurt consumer loyalty

After using two BlackBerry Torch 9800 units within 26 days I went back to my trusted Bold 9700. The main reason for returning the Torch was that I found the build quality of the units to be below RIM standards. I am not new to BlackBerry devices. In addition to the Bold 9700, I have owned a Curve 8300, a Curve 8310, and a Bold 9000.

The problem that I encountered with the first Torch unit was that the escape key (not actually a separate key but a button beneath an overlay covering a row of buttons) became slightly depressed after only 3 weeks of use.

I decided to exchange it for a new unit only to find a problem with the keyboard. Some of the keys on the bottom row did not travel fully and failed to make a clicking sound. This forced me to check if the characters were entered correctly thereby slowing my typing.

I went back to the AT&T store and tried another unit there which had the same problem but with different keys. I then decided to switch back to the my Bold 9700 until these build quality problems are corrected.

One of the BlackBerry hallmarks was the high quality of the keyboard which made composing emails and messages easier, faster, and less prone to errors than other smartphones. A third-rate keyboard (a keyboard with an uneven key response) on a BlackBerry is simply unacceptable.

On this forum I read of users complaining that the overlay covering the row of buttons below the screen started to lift or peel after a few days. On other forums users complained of sliding mechanisms that wobbled. Some users reported having to make several exchanges, or try several units before leaving the store, in order to get one good Torch.

The Torch is a well-designed device but, judging from the posts that I have read and my own experience, it was not well implemented at the manufacturing stage. If RIM does not correct the problems with the overlay covering the row of buttons and the keyboard, it will be at the cost of diminishing the BlackBerry brand name and hurting consumer loyalty.

AGoodbary
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Poor build quality can diminish the brand and hurt consumer loyalty

Have had my Torch for only a few weeks.  On my third keyboard plastic cover.  None adheres well. Very poor construction quality!! RIM must get a handle on this ASAP or I will be changing!

Al

New Contributor
mark67
My Device: Not Specified

I must be a sucker for punishment. After telling myself to never buy a blackberry again because of the software and hardware problems I have previously had. I go out and buy a Torch. Previously I had a Pearl and a Storm 9530.

Like  AGoodbary said the build quality isn't there. From creaking sounds to the keys sticker coming off or making a tacky sound when pressed and released. The biggest problem I have is the earpiece makes a crackly distortion sound to the point I can't make out what the other caller is saying.

I lived with it for more than the 14 day exchange policy. Because of my blue tooth and my head phones. Big mistake because now I have to send it in for repair. I have to pay for shipping and also pay for a inferior rental phone.

Not happy with Blackberry nor Bell Mobility

What do you do suck it up or change carriers just to make a point ?

New Contributor
mrivner

I agree with the above post.  I am on my 3rd Black Berry Torch.  First one frooze and just continuously tried to reboot after 3 months.  Second one had poor sensitivity on touch screen.  Third has loose screen.  I am using it but it does not feel right.  I am getting sick of exchanging these devices.  Three devices all with different defects.  The quality control is lacking.  RIM needs to pay attention to this.

Michael

Contributor
jimgior

had the same problem with the spacebar.  Took it back to ATT and they didn't want to exchange it.   This was on the same day Consumer Reports reports ATT as being the worst service provder.   For the price of these phones and the commitiment with a carrier I expect a lot more quality - it has to last at least as long as your contract commitment.