Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
Accepted Solution

Problem with battery indicator

Hello,

my blackberry torch battery indicator is permanently shown as an empty red battery even when it is fully charged:

it says that the battery level is at 1% since last night.

I tried charging it both at the wall and from the PC, the bolt flashes (on the red battery icon) but the level stays at 1% and the orange light flashes.

After what I believe is a sufficient time for fully charging the battery, a "plug" replaces the flashing bolt on the battery icon (still red and empty).

The phone, once disconnected from the mains, works perfectly, the only annoying thing is that the battery indicator is always red, it indicates 1% and the orange light flashes continuously; so I never know when the phone really needs charging.

Has anyone experienced the same problem? i do not think that the problem is in the battery but somewhere in the software...any suggestion?

Thanks

Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Problem with battery indicator

Did you recently update your phone's OS?  Sometimes the phone takes a day or two to adapt to the new brain and might show an incorrect reading for the battery meter.

If that's not the case and your battery is holding a good charge, then it would be software related as you stated.  If that's the case, remove your battery while your phone is powered on then replace it.

Keep us up to date on your progress.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Hello Billj, thanks for the reply. It all started on friday afternon when i switched my old hanset (torch 9800) with a new one ( torch 9800 as well) i kept my old battery. The OS is v6 and i don't think it has changed. I tried your suggestion of pulling the battery whilst charging, it started at 1 %, then it seemed to charge ok reaching 10% but unfortunately it reebooted automatically and restarted fom 1%. (last night while it was charging it reached 25 % and then reboted itself and went back to 1%). As it is my work mobile, i will call my provider when i' m back in the office, explain the situation and ask them to give me another handset....maybe this will solve the problem. I will give an update. Thanks anyway for your suggestion.
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

And thank you for your response.

As I mentioned, please do keep us up to date on your progress.  It might seem insignificant to do so if the problem corrects itself, but that's how we all learn.

Good luck with your battery issues.  Smiley Happy

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Hello again,

I thought I would give an update as I solved the problem! The only solution is to get a new handset.

I tried many things, including not charging the phone at all till the battery really runs out. In this case when i plugged it back I thought that it was finally working as it was charging fine and the battery became white from empty red...unfortunately as soon as i unplugged the charger, the battery indicator went back to empty red 1%.

I called my provider ad they sent me another handset (still a torch 9800); I put my battery in it and it works perfectly.

Highlighted
New Contributor
My Carrier: Vodafone

Sorry to drag this back but mine just had the same problem. Ok I just upgraded so I'm guessing it's the brain thing. You certain tho?