Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
sardille
My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: att

Problems with car charger

I dont think i have read anything like this on the forums yet. Im on my second torch and although i like it a lot being (personal opinion) best blackberry yet (functionwide) , I feel it has some issues that are making me think a lot. I had a problem with the first one, i was charging it in my car (original BB charger) and some times i would see the lighting icon with the phone charging and sometimes not. I wanted to know if it was charging or not, so i tested for minutes looking at the battery % and nothing. Then the phone started to overheat and was not charging anymore, i took it to best buy mobile where i purchased it and they gave me different car chargers to test it. I did test it but i told them that my charger was orgiunal blackberry accesory and that i charge a 9700 and a 8520 from my wife. Nothing happened, they gave me a new phone. With the new one i noticed the b atter life was superb, was way better. but after 4-5 days (yesterday) the battery went dead at 5pm with slight use on the day, i tried charging the cellphone while eating, so i left it charging in the car and when i returned the phone was hot and not charging. Im really confused

Things i know>

1. its not the car charger, its charging other BB fine and its original accesory

2. Its not the lighter in my car cause i also charge other phones

please advice

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,841
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Problems with car charger

1. There could be any application or an active browser running in the background, draining the battery. That is not uncommon and you should close each program or application when finished using it. Use the Menu key > close or exit, not just pressing the escape or the back key.

2. What's the temperature in the car where you left it charging yesterday while eating?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
sardille
My Device: 9800 torch
My Carrier: att

the car was in a cool place, not hot. Also its the 2nd phone that does this.  About applications i dont keep app running in background, i always press menu for a while to see what is running. Something has to be wrong with the phone. still testing it, they were gonna give me a 3rd one yesterday but were out of stock. 

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Possible it was switching between Edge and 3G in a low connection area?

Mine does this in a few places and even iPhone do it too.

can you try setting it to 2g only and see it battery life is better in those areas?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Contributor
wpscheff
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

I too am on my second torch in 8 days. I am also having a problem with the car charger. The lightning bolt goes off while charging, especially when I am using AT&T Navigator. The second phone is not as bad as the first one was, but I don't know how well it will do in the weeks to come.

I had this same problem with my original AT&T Blackberry, the 8900. In that case, a battery swap solved the problem. With the Torch, I really don't know what is going on, but this is a serious problem because I use the AT&T Navigator all the time in my business and I have to keep my battery charged.

I hope Blackberry recognizes that there IS a problem and fixes it.

Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

on of my chargers is flaky and only works for my HS500 and the other one I have to wiggle it to make it work. but i know the charger is the issue with a loose connection. the wall charger works fine.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
jkee
My Carrier: ATT

OMG...I thought I was the only only....I'm having all the same problems and I'm on the second car charger...no apps in the background and usually just on 2G...temp is normal not different from when I charged previous BB......I have been working with Tech support at BB and nothing yet on why this problem occurs or how to fix it....

Does this happen AT&T extra wall charger it does for me..... the only charger that works is the the usb and switcher that came with the phone...

HELP!!!!! I don't want to have to get another BB or go back to the Curve/Bold

Please use plain text.
Developer
shellbellthemes
My Device: 9800 Torch

So far so good for me and my car charger, charges perfectly, bought it from Best Buy mobile and mine doesn't seem to have an over heating problem, but I do know someone who said that when being on the phone for about an hour her phone started heating up. I believe this is going to be another issue with the Torch along with the battery life!

If my posts have helped you please click the star for kudos ~ty
Interested in girly themes?
Follow the link below:
http://shellbellthemes.ucoz.com
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

Option, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on #Torch. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on.

I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine and the charger was unable to keep up. My Torch and charger were both very warm and I noticed the charge indicator was not showing.

Good luck in your findings

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
brianmiller

I've experienced this problem.

It rang once while it was charging, and the lightening bolt went away when I picked it up. In the car I noticed as apps were open it went away. Closing everything out seems to be the fix for me.

Please use plain text.