Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: blackberry torch 9800

RED LIGHT / BATTERY PROBLEM

My blackberry has recently been unable to charge up. I bought a new battery yesterday and all I am seeing is just a red light turning on and off. Please help as I really want to get my blackberry torch up and running

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Re: RED LIGHT / BATTERY PROBLEM

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Please try this sequence...note that, throughout the entire 4h15m process, your BB must remain connected to a known-good wall charger (not PC USB):

1. With the battery inside, connect your BB to the wall charger
  2. Leave it alone for 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does
  3. Remove the battery
  4. Wait 15 minutes
  5. Insert the battery
  6. Wait another 2 hours, no matter what the LED or the display does

This has been known to "kick start" some BBs.

It is also possible that your battery or BB has experienced a problem...to test, this sequence is needed:

1. Obtain an known good and already fully charged additional battery...use it in your BB and see what happens
  2. Obtain access to a known good and identical BB...use your battery in it and see what happens

The results of this will indicate if it's your BB or your battery that has the problem. Note that, while rare, a "new" battery certainly can be defective...the best (and least expensive) test method is to find someone with an identical BB who has no issues...trade batteries and see what happens.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

Ok. I am now only the final step. There is 5 mins left for the whole procedure to be completed. How do I kick start the phone on or does it automatically turn on. Thanks
New Contributor

Ok. I am on the final step. There is about 5 mins left for the whole procedure to complete. Does that mobile turn on automatically or do I have to press something? Also do I take the chager out? Thanks.

Hall of Famer II

It should have turned on at step 5. If it does not, then wait for the full 4h15 minutes to expire, keep it on the charger, and use the power button as normal to turn it on.

If it will not turn on, then repeat the process with your other battery (you bought a new one, right?).

Otherwise, proceed to the second half...find someone with an identical BB that has no problems, and trade batteries.

If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I am currently doin it with my new battery. If it doesn't work, I will do it will my old battery. By the way, you are very kind. Thanks for all the time and effort you a giving into me!

New Contributor

Unfortunately, I didn't seem as though my mobile has turned on and even worse, I do not n=know anyone with the same phone who has a battery to trade with.

Hall of Famer II

OK...well you may as well try with the other battery anyway...you never can be sure what will happen.

As for finding an identical BB, sometimes if you go to a shop that sells them, they would be willing to help out...if, for example, they have a display model that has no issues, then they might let you swap batteries with it for this test. It's just a test, so it would only take perhaps 5 minutes or so. Just long enough for each device (with the traded batteries) to either boot up or not.

Good luck!

Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
Knowledge Base Updates