Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Cleatous
My Device: Torch 9800

Rapid Battery drain from 50% on Torch9800

For the past week or so my Torch has been having rapid battery drains from about 50% where it beeps and says "battery depleted, switching off" and turns itself off!

Sometimes it wont turn back on until plugged into the charger, while others it will turn back on again after a while, and shows 50% battery again. But if you try and do anything like use the camera, surf the net or go on facebook, it turns off again. The fact it still shows 50% just before 'draining' and again when turned on tells me this is not a real problem with the battery but something to do with software?

I have tried restarting the phone, turning it off and doing battery pulls, doing battery pulls while it's turned on or while its turned on and plugged into the charger

I have disabled the compression storage option, checked my CPU usage which seems normal (nothing is running using a lot of CPU), deleted apps which I thought may be causing the issue (with reboots in between), no apps are open in the background running all the time...

Recently App world asked me to do an upgrade to 4.0.0.63. When I did this, the App world icon had disappeared from my phone (not hidden or anything, it was visable in application management, but the icon was nowhere on the phone). I found a forum which suggested I re-downgrade back to app world version 4.0.0.55 to solve this issue. That is what I did, and the app world icon reappeared.

Since these app world updates, this is when the battery drain issue on my phone has been occuring.

My phone Blackberry OS is: 9800/6.0.0.246

I am in Australia, so not sure if this affects any OS updates or anything.

Please help anyone who knows anything about the best way to resolve this issue. Having an unreliable phone is frustrating, and very inconveneient when out with no charger (no one wants to have to carry their charger everywhere, nor should they!)

Thank you in advance everyone! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
JSanders
Solutions: 5,846
My Device: Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: Rapid Battery drain from 50% on Torch9800

1. You're running an extremely old OS, .246, you need to upgrade that.

2. Do this, connect your BlackBerry to the wall outlet charger and while charging, remove the battery a minute and replace. Do this the next couple of times you charge it. That will reset the on-device battery meter which appears to have come off-sync with the actual battery charge.

3.. Don't drain your battery to 10% each day. Top if off as you can during the day, even and extra ten minutes on the charger while driving or anything. Draining the battery completely move the battery through a life-cycle and kills the battery quicker.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Cleatous

Thank you. I just expected that the phone would tell me when it needed to upgrade the OS. So you think that will solve this software problem causing these rapid battery drains?

How do I go about upgrading the OS? Can I do it wirelessly? Do I need to backup the stuff on the phone first (how do I do that)?

Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Cleatous wrote:

Thank you. I just expected that the phone would tell me when it needed to upgrade the OS. So you think that will solve this software problem causing these rapid battery drains?

Well, I think if you do what I recommended on the charging/battery pull should solve the rapid drain and turning off at 50% charge.

The OS upgrade should just give you better service and software.

Who is your mobile provider/carrier? For some reason you left off your profile here.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Cleatous

Oh sorry, I'm with Vodafone Australia....

Please use plain text.
JSanders

The latest OS from Vodafone Australia for the 9800 is 6.0.0.706, quite up to date.

Device operating system releases are "released" by specific carriers once they have certified and trained their support techs, but still, you are able to load to any carrier's same model by following the instructions below.

Do a backup of your device first, using Desktop Manager > Backup. Close Desktop Manager upon completion.

1. Download the OS file to the PC then install it to the PC by running (double clicking) the file you downloaded.

https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/Downloads/entry.do?code=B86E8D03FE992D1B0E19656875EE557C

2. Go to c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader and delete the file named "vendor.xml." (You might have another Vendor.xml file hiding on your computer. Open Windows Explorer and under the Organize button (on Windows 7, there are similar tools for Vista and XP) click on "Folder and search options." Under the View tab, make sure that your computer is set to show hidden folders and files. Once you've done this, search your C:\ drive for "Vendor.xml".) You don't need to do this.
3. Plug in BB and double click on "Loader.exe." It's located in the same place as the above vendor.xml file.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Cleatous

Thank you very much for all of your help. I will try this when I get home tonight.

So, there is no way to do the OS upgrade wirelessly?

Thanks again.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Yes, you should be able to do so if that is enabled by Vodafone.

Check your Options > Device > Wireless Updates.

Keep your device connected to a charger the entire time.

Do the backup FIRST, on your PC, using the BlackBerry Desktop Software.

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Cleatous

Hello, Me again.

I have now done numerous battery pulls while the phone is charging, leaving the battery out for minutes and then putting it back in.

This has not changed my issues with the rapid battery drains. It is still happening.

Please help. Any other suggestions would be very greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Please use plain text.
JSanders

Do this for me... remove the battery and place it flat on a flat surface, like a wood table.

Spin it.

Does it spin easily, as if there is a bulge in the middle, or hardly spins at all?

Knowledge Base Updates
Please use plain text.