Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Mitesh28
My Device: 9800
My Carrier: None

Re: Setting up Email Account.

Hi All,

I cannot setup an email account. As per the manual when I click on Email Accounts in Setup it shows " To activate your enterprise account, enter details provided by your system administrator in the feilds below" & the fields are :

1. Email. & 2. Activation Password. Thats all. Or have to click "Return to Setup".

It doesnt show any option of Internet Mail Account as mentioned in manual.

I have not taken any BIS or Enterprise Account.

I have also noticed that whenever the phone is Switched off /on, screen displays AT & T world phone instead of Blackberry.

Blackberry appears only when battery is removed & inserted again, at the time of booting. After the booting process, AT & T world phone is displayed & then normal home screen appears.

One of network provider asked me about it & said that if Blackberry is not appearing then their BIS/ or Enterprise account service will not work in my phone. As per them, Blackberry must appear on switching phone on/off.

I can browse the internet, can use facebook through browser. But why cant setup an email account. Also cannot download Facebook application on my phone. It denies permission.

Now what has to be done I dont understand.

Please help.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012
My Device: Curve
My Carrier: BSNL

Hello Mitesh28

Welcome to BlackBerry Support Forums

For your first issue:

Mitesh28 wrote:

Icannotsetupanemailaccount. AsperthemanualwhenIclickonEmailAccountsinSetupitshows " Toactivateyourenterpriseaccount, enterdetailsprovidedbyyoursystemadministratorinthefeildsbelow" & thefieldsare :

1. Email. & 2. Activation Password. Thats all. Or have to click "Return to Setup".

It doesnt show any option of Internet Mail Account as mentioned in manual.

I have not taken any BIS or Enterprise Account.

You need an active BlackBerry Data Plan / BIS from your current Carrier to use personal email services or for setting up your personal email , Once you activate it you will have the option for Internet Mail account or personal email setup .

Mitesh28 wrote:

I have also noticed that whenever the phone is Switched off /on, screen displays AT & T world phone instead of Blackberry.

Blackberry appears only when battery is removed & inserted again, at the time of booting. After the booting process, AT & T world phone is displayed & then normal home screen appears.

One of network provider asked me about it & said that if Blackberry is not appearing then their BIS/ or Enterprise account service will not work in my phone. As per them, Blackberry must appear on switching phone on/off.

Not necessarily .. If your device was originally branded as AT&T then that screen will appear and it is normal , you can override that screen , it is hard coded. But .. You have to be sure that your device is Unlocked from AT&T otherwise local carrier will not be able to activate BIS on that device . 

You can refer to this Helpful Article and be sure that your device is UNlocked Unlocking your BlackBerry Guide

And lastly , If you bought that device online or used one then I suggest you should first do a backup of your device using Desktop software , after a backup reset your BlackBerry to factory setting it will remove any IT policy if enabled on that device , for help you can refer to this KB :

KB31291 :  How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software

After a reset restore only your Contact from those backup files, perform a selective restore. 

Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mitesh28

Thank you so much.

1.I have checked if the handset is unlocked. The following things were displayed on screen:

Identity and Associations

ID : Some numbers are displayed.

Personalization :

SIM Disabled

Network Disabled

Network Subset Disabled

Service Provider Disabled.

Corporate Disabled

Phone Number :

Unknown Number.

Does the above mean that the handset is unlocked one.

2. This is about the lase question i.e. I can browse the internet and also use facebook through browser but cannot download facebook application on my phone, it denies permissions. Does BIS is also required for Fb application?

Thank you once again. Learning somany things.

Please help.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hello Mitesh 

1. Those figure shows you have an Unlocked device 

2.Currently facebook application works over an wifi without an active BIS .But not over our Mobile network , To use Facebook application over your Mobile Network we need an active BIS plan from our Carrier.

But .. 

Mitesh28 wrote:

1.I have checked if the handset is unlocked. The following things were displayed on screen:

Identity and Associations

ID : Some numbers are displayed.

2. This is about the lase question i.e. I can browse the internet and also use facebook through browser but cannot download facebook application on my phone, it denies permissions. Does BIS is also required for Fb application?

As you have not confirmed if you bought your device online or from any other sources.

So , For those reason I suggested you to reset your device to factory setting , It appears you have some IT policy which preventing those . 

Can you try that ? Afterward  you can contact your carrier and let them activate BIS on your SIM account to see if that works .

If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mitesh28

Thank you very much for your support.

I forgot to mention that I purchased the handset online.

I think that if I rest the phone to factory setting then I may be able to install Fb application.

I am using whatsapp without any BIS plans activated. But it gets disconnected2-3 times a day and I have to remove the battery & insert it again after which it works properly.

I think whatsapp must not get disconnected if BIS is not subscribed. At the most I will be charged for the data used while using it as it is a 3rd party application. I have normal 3G data plan.

That is the reason I want to try to reset the phone & see if whatsapp can work without getting disconnected.

Kindly guide me if I am correct so that I may proceed further with resetting. Iam very new to Blackberry so dont know anything about it.

Please help.

Thank you once again for guiding me.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hello Mitesh

Most of your views are correct !

Mitesh28 wrote:

I am using whatsapp without any BIS plans activated. But it gets disconnected2-3 times a day and I have to remove the battery & insert it again after which it works properly.

I have noticed this same issue with most users who don't have BIS , Not only for whatsapp but with other apps which runs over an wifi network .

Mitesh28 wrote:

I think whatsapp must not get disconnected if BIS is not subscribed. At the most I will be charged for the data used while using it as it is a 3rd party application. I have normal 3G data plan.

That is the reason I want to try to reset the phone & see if whatsapp can work without getting disconnected.

I don't know where are you located , On few countries most Carrier offer Unlimited BlackBerry Data Plan .

Apart from Whatsapp , once you have BIS you can use BlackBerry Messenger application , best messenging application till available , which is going cross platform within few months .

I'm glad you joined the huge BlackBerry Community , I'm sure you're going to like your BlackBerry then any other devices as time moves .

Please Go ahead , I hope will help . But do a backup of your device before performing any steps , And while perform a restore from your backup , choose selective restore .Restore only you Contacts , calenders , memos etc .

Good luck.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mitesh28

Thank you so much.

Iam located at Mumbai, Maharashtra, India.

Please let me know if reseting the phone would remove all or any of the icons which now are seen and also will whatsapp need to be removed before reset or will it be removed on reset.

What are the chances of whatsapp not getting disconnected after reset.

Please suggest.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
prince2012

Hello Mitesh

Regarding factory reset question .

Mitesh28 wrote:

Please let me know if reseting the phone would remove all or any of the icons which now are seen and also will whatsapp need to be removed before reset or will it be removed on reset.

What are the chances of whatsapp not getting disconnected after reset.

When we perform a Factory reset then it will delete everything ... It will as like as new . You have start all over again,  have to download each and every application , have to set everything from start .

Factory reset has nothing to do with Whatsapp , I suggested those steps because you're having many issues other then Whatsapp. As I told if you activate BIS you won't feel any issues with whatsapp . 

Mitesh28 wrote:

Iam located at Mumbai, Maharashtra, India. 

Ouuch ! I don't want to give you a heart attack :smileytongue: or keep you in dark , But most Indian Carrier have a problem in adding or allowing BIS on there network if that device is bought  from any US Carriers because they use a different radio frequency . But the exact answer to that only a Carrier or Network Service Provider can give. 

Please use plain text.