Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: AT&T

Restoring Contacts

I've seen this problem mentioned multiple times but can't find a good answer.

I just switched from an older Blackberry (Curve I think) to a Torch.  I did not have both phones at the same time so I could not do a phone-to-phone transfer.

I did back up my previously blackberry but now cannot restore my contacts.

Can you tell me how to restore my contacts to my new phone?  In the Blackberry Desktop restore option the Adress Book data is backed up but there is a message saying it is read only and cannot be restored.

What is the point to having a back-up of the information if you can't restore from the back-up?

Can you offer me some help?

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: Restoring Contacts

Welcome to the Forums, avieth!

Since you have both devices, why not use the Switch Device Wizard in Desktop Manager?

Connect your old Curve to the PC and launch Desktop Manager.  Click on "Device" in the upper lefthand corner, then select "Switch Devices."  This will back up everything from your Curve, then prompt you to connect your Torch and restore everything to it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

I don't have both devices.  That would have been way too easy and I wouldn't being having this much fun.  ;^)

I found a solution:

This was an old message I found from 2008:

1) Unplug device then go to Options\Service books
2) Delete the "Desktop Sync" service book
3) Plug device back in and open the Desktop manager
4) Go to "restore" and you should now be able to restore all of your previously dimmed out items.

It was a little more involved with the Torch but I was able to get the address book restored (also hade to get rid of sync for other email addresses).  At the same time I messed up my enterprise activation but maybe tomorrow I can figure that one out.

Forums Veteran I
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Sorry.....I misread your first post and thought you had both devices.

At any rate, glad you got it sorted out.  Smiley Happy

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
New Contributor

No worries.

I appreciate you trying to help.

When someone posts the same problem in the future hopefully you will be on to refer them to this message string.

You are amazing! I cannot thank you enough for posting the exact instructions on how to restore my contacts!! I would have been lost without your post.Smiley Very Happy

Again, Thanks a million!!

Michelle Ferrone

New Contributor
My Device: Curve 9320
My Carrier: CellC

I have an 8520 and I went to options/advanced options/service books and there's no desktop sync book. Please help guys. I also need my contacts asap!