Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Jerems
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: AIS

Roaming Wifi Issue with Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

Hello all,

I've searched for this and seen some Fixes posted and tried them all I think with no success.

The Problem:

Can't use Wifi to get e-mails, BBM, App World while Roaming.

Situation:

My plan (Which includes BB Data package) is from AIS in Thailand.  I'm currently in Spain, and the phone connects to Movistar 3G, and I forgot to turn off data when I first got here so it ate up my balance very quickly.  

First Try:

So I tried the "Hoist Tables" thing where I registered the tables got the message saying it was registered, I had the BB Symbol beside the 3G signal, all is good. turned off the Data While Roaming option while connected to the Wifi in the Hotel, then the BB logo Disappears and I can't do anything just browse with the browser.

If you look in the Hoist Tables they are all there and there is one that says WIFI and it states the IP address and SSL port it uses,

Second Try:

So I tried another way I found about resending the services books did all the steps...and turn off the data while roaming ....same issue!

Third Try:

I topped up the account and just left the Data Roaming ON and connected to the wifi, and I'm not sure if it using wifi or not but it was allowing me to do everything, but that's not too great because once the wifi disappeared...my balance was emptied....agian....Even if that was working I would rather not have to keep an eye on it all the time to make sure the wifi stays connected.  And if I go outside of coverage...it will drop out even if still connected to wifi.

Solution:??????????

I can't see this being a carrier issue?? Due to I can register the BB without issue...maybe it's the WIFI can't access that port on the Hotel Router but I thought 443 wasn't a port that was normally blocked, it's just a SSL Connection and I can access SSL sites with my Computer.  And I know two other people at work that use the WIFI with their Bolds without issue and we are connecting to the same Routers.....

One thing to note after purchasing the phone I did the update to OS 6.0......something something that the Desktop Manager said was available, now I found an AIS Thailand version on the net, I'm not sure if my computer installed the North American version instead...but would this cause any issues like this????????

I've tried some other variations of sending books taking out the battery...standing on the one foot with one hand in the air...all of the above and still getting no where...I also had this issue in Amsterdam when I had a stopover for my flight to Spain.

Any useful information anyone is willing to type down for me to try would be greatly appreciated!!

Regards,

Jeremy

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Jerems
My Device: torch 9800
My Carrier: AIS

Re: Roaming Wifi Issue with Torch 9800

I forgot to explain sending the services books, I sent the services books from my phone by going to email setup then BB button and send books.

I have also read about logging into the BIS website and sending the books...and tried this but it says i need to do it from the BB device not from HTTP Browser? but I was on my BB device? Is there some secret I'm missing?

Thanks
Please use plain text.