Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9810

SMS Notification Visually

There is no visual notification when I receive a new SMS message. I believe there used to be but apparently I've changed a setting somewhere and now there is no visual cue that I've recieved a new SMS.

Either with the little red asterisk on the Text Messages icon, nor in the bar right below the time.

I've dug through all the settings I can think of, but still can't get it to turn on. How can I turn this back on?

Torch 9810 OS 7.1.0.746 platform 5.1.0.546.

Solutions: 6,065
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Re: SMS Notification Visually

Do a simple reboot on the BlackBerry in this manner: With the BlackBerry device POWERED ON, remove the battery for a minute, and then reinsert the battery to reboot. A reboot in this manner is prescribed for most glitches and operating system errors, and you will lose no data on the device doing this.

Now, see if your notification returns.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite II
My Device: BlackBerry Z30

You now have the same reply from two experienced users in two different threads. If you don't like the reply, will you be starting a third thread?

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

New Contributor

Hi BillJ,

I'm sorry for the double post. After I had posted it the first time I realized it was in the Bold forum which was wrong, and since I can't see any way to delete the post, I thought that I would make sure it got into the correct forum as I have a Torch 2.

It's not that I didn't like the answer, I actually reposted it into the correct forum immediately after I realized I made the mistake, before either solution was provided.

I realize I made the mistake, and... I feel shame.

I know that it used to work and I'm positive that it was a setting I messed up but I've gone through everything I can think of, including "Message Notifiers" and Options from within the SMS application and can't find the feature, there or in the main Options.

Thanks. Next time just click on the "Report Inappropriate Content" link and ask the moderator to move the post to the correct section.

Regarding the notification, have you done what was recommended?

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

I did and it did not work. I am certain that it was a setting somewhere, I just can't remember nor find it.

Open your Options > Device > SMS. Do you see the option there?

or under your notifications options?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Hi JSanders, no I don't have the "SMS" option in the Options>Device directory. I may need to do a full on wipe, but if I restore from a backup, it'll go back.

Perhaps it's time to consider the Z30. I can get one free right now. How are you liking your Z30?

OMG, don't get me started on the Z30.

Best smartphone ever made, by anyone. Tops any iOS or Android ever, and the best BlackBerry on the market.

I have found one Apple user friend who didn't like it because of a couple missing apps his business needed...

For your notification, I want to be clear to understand, you are talking about getting the red asterisk ON the SMS icon on your Torch, when you receive a new SMS? right?

Knowledge Base Updates
New Contributor

Yes, the red asterisk on the Text Messages icon. 

OK, maybe time to upgrade. I saw one at the store when I was upgrading my tv service to fibre optic and I was surprised at how big the screen was .