Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
email_dc
My Carrier: Tmobile
Accepted Solution

Security data wipe - how to restore mail app?

Device:  BB Torch 9800.

Service provider: t-mobile.

I had problem with my gmail set up.  I couldn't send or receive.  Message "service blocked"

I did a Security Wipe under option.  Now my  Mail App icon is gone.

If I go to Setup - Email accounts, I don't see the Internet Mail option any more.  It asks me to enter the Enterprise account, which I don't subscribe.  

1. How do I restore the Mail app?

2. Is there any way to do a hard reset the device to Factory default like a new phone?

3. Wonder if I can use this BB Torch for email over Wifi only (no data service from cell provider) like an iPod Touch?

Thanks for your help!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Re: Security data wipe - how to restore mail app?

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

email_dc wrote:

1. How do I restore the Mail app?

With a strong carrier network signal (e.g., not merely WiFi), I suggest the following steps, in order, even if they seem redundant to what you have already tried (steps 1 and 2 each should result in a message coming to your BB...please wait for that before proceeding to the next step):

1) Register HRT

• KB00510 How to register a BlackBerry smartphone with the wireless network
  • Please wait for one "registration" message to arrive to your Messages app

2) Delete and Resend Service Books

• KB05000Delete the service book for the BlackBerry Internet Service email account from the BlackBerry smartphone
  • If you have no CMIME entry, then skip the deletion
  • KB02830 Send the service books for the BlackBerry Internet Service
  • Please wait for "Activation" Messages, one per already configured email account, to arrive in your Messages. If you have no already configured email accounts, please wait 1 hour.

3) Reboot

• With power ON, remove the back cover and pull out the battery. Wait about a minute then replace the battery and cover. Power up and wait patiently through the long reboot -- ~5 minutes..
  • See if things have returned to good operation. Like all computing devices, BB's suffer from memory leaks and such...with a hard reboot being the best cure.

Hopefully that will get things going again for you! If not, then you should contact your mobile service provider for formal support.

email_dc wrote:

2. Is there any way to do a hard reset the device to Factory default like a new phone?

There are several ways (none of which, BTW, I believe will be helpful to your current situation):

• KB16307 Actions performed by the BlackBerry smartphone during the removal of stored user and application data
  • KB14058 How to delete all data and applications from the BlackBerry smartphone using the Security Wipe option
  • KB31291 How to reset a BlackBerry smartphone to factory settings using BlackBerry Desktop Software
  • KB29847 How to reload a BlackBerry smartphone without using the BlackBerry Desktop Software

email_dc wrote:

3. Wonder if I can use this BB Torch for email over Wifi only (no data service from cell provider) like an iPod Touch?

No. BB devices do not have a full email client on them. Rather, they depend on the BIS service to provide email functionality. BIS is active when you have also Internet/Personal email listed where you are presently seeing only Enterprise. All services, including BIS, are delivered to the device via the carrier data network...hence, contacting them is the correct approach to finding out why their network is no longer delivering to you the services you are paying them for.

Good luck and let us know!!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
email_dc
My Carrier: Tmobile

Dear SDgardne,

Thank you for the very detail info and instruction.

My email is now set up and working.  I did have to call my service provider to adjust/correct a few things on my phone though.  But pretty much your instructions are right on.

Thanks!

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Carrier: TMobile USA

You are very welcome...I'm glad you got it worked out. Enjoy!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.