Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
KJIsaacson
My Device: BlackBerry Torch 9850
Accepted Solution

Some pix thumbnails not showing, but click on "black" thumbnail and pic is there

Torch 9850.

Strange picture behavior: When viewing the list of pictures (on media card), the thumbnails are generally visible. However, with some recent pix, there's no visible thumbnail. At first, it looked like there simply was no thumbnail, but I see that by moving to where the thumbnail is, it's outlined in blue (but the thumbnail is all black). Clicking on that all black thumbnail opens up the picture, which looks just fine.

This has occurred for about ten pictures. I copied those pictures onto my computer, and thumbnails are visibile there. I transferred the pix back from my computer to the BB, and those same pix still have an all-black thumbnail (but visible picture when opened).

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Ken

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Some pix thumbnails not showing, but click on "black" thumbnail and pic is there

there are some hidden cached files that you can safely delete on the media card in the picture folders only.

they are very similar to windows thumbs files but called thumbs.dat

once removed and you put the card back it they will be rebuilt.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
KJIsaacson

Re: Some pix thumbnails not showing, but click on "black" thumbnail and pic is there

Thanks for the response. I've looked for the dat file, but here's what I've found:

Nothing in the "Picture" folder on the media card. However, searching the card (by connecting the BB to my computer and searching the drive) I find two files, "thumbs129x129.dat" and "thumbs800x800.dat". The full path is "G:\BlAckberry\system\media\"

Are these the files? Should I just delete them through Windows Explorer?

Many thanks!

Ken

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

yes those can be deleted via explorer and will be rebuilt when you put the card back in

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

New Contributor
KJIsaacson

Excellent. That worked.

And FWIW, unseating and reseating the media card solved the problem I described on the board here about pix not being stored to the media card even though configured to do so.

Many thanks.

Ken

Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

glad to see your doing better

New Contributor
Moonshiner40
My Device: Blackberry Z-10

Tried that. Didn't work. My problem is opposite. delete pics and thumbs still there. 

New Contributor
shivani02
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9860

I know it is a few years on, but I just had a similar problem with a little bit more of an issue to it. My Torch 9860 was running slow, I presumed it was the memory, so I plugged it up to my laptop to transfer the photos, however I could not find a large amount of them. Before this happened it suggested I needed to repair the built in device memory which I did, however these photos were saved on the memory card and now I cannot find them. Along with this, I realised most of the memory was coming from "Thumbs129x129.dat" files, which i deleted but nothing seems to have rebuilt, nor have the photos resurfaced. Any help would be hugely appreciated! :smileysad:

Contributor
abbassctg
My Device: 9700 bold

not sure if your issue resolved. 

you can check this KB out: http://www.blackberry.com/btsc/KB23935