If you are using Internet Explorer, please remove blackberry.com from your compatibility view settings.

Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Mtho23ZA
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: mtn

South Africa's concerns

As you know Blackberry is a huge hit in our country and people are willing to spend lots of money to get it. I've conducted a mini survey amongst the people I know who use Blackberries and I must say I am appalled at the findings, so much so that I believe RIM is deliberately bringing and selling us "factory faults" or "blackberry rejects". You may know this but Blackberries are very expensive in our country and with the amount of money we pay we expect high quality and services from RIM (non negotiable) but in turn we get abused and ignored for our concerns:

1: How can a BRAND NEW handheld randomly freeze which would require a reboot?
2: The phone's response is too slow to the point where one gives up on whatever they wanted to do on it.
3: How does a phone freeze during a reboot which requires another reboot? We don't have time for this.
4: Our track pads or track balls wear off in no time after buying it
5: Our chargers seem to have been manufactured by animals cause they break so easily its baffling
6: Not forgetting our Headsets which don't last a week
7: Sometimes the phone switches off involuntarily
8: The phones fall apart in no time
9: The battery life is atrocious
10: The screen randomly turns white with no explanation

These are some of the problems we encounter with our phones and that's enough reason to believe that we're being sold rejects for phones. It will be in your best interest to address this issue as soon as possible.
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: South Africa's concerns

1 RIM does not make all the apps, some times a dev makes a mistake and the app can hang.

2 + 3 This is a computer and like all computers you have limits which can be reached. I will offer some help on this below

4 I have had a trackpad for 4 years and never had this issue. do you leave it in the sun often?

5 Yes hey are fragile and need to be used gently, my son has broken a few on his tablet which is the same type of micro USB end

6 So you lose your head set and hblame RIM for it?

7 need to dig further for the issue on that below

8 we have over 100 users and if you abuse it, it will fall apart. mest thing to do is get a case or holster for it

9 This could be from a rougue app or GPS app running all the time

10 I have seen this happen on mine if it gets real hot, once cooled off it fine after.

now for slowness and finding a rouge app

Try a Battery pull please, with the BlackBerry device powered ON, remove the battery 15 seconds and then reinsert the battery to reboot device. This will clear all cache like rebooting a PC. Then try again and see if your problem persists.

A media card full of songs and pictures will take a long time to generate the thumbnails and song playlist, possibly making it slow up first use.

On device go to Options, Device, Application Management is a great way to see what your apps are doing with your CPU usage on Smartphone. Just slide top bar to CPU and see what is going on. Also touch the CPU menu to see other time variables. I found out that an app was eating away CPU cycles on mine

Disable Compression on media card? go to Options, Device, Storage

using a custom theme? try it for a day the factory default one to rule out your theme

remember the esc key closes most apps, except for GPS and some chat clients. the other apps need to use menu and then exit or close. The farthest key to the right is a home key and does not close any apps per se but will end calls.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Mtho23ZA
My Device: curve 9300
My Carrier: mtn

It seems we're not understanding each other here. I know full well on how to use my handheld I don't need help with that. My problem is with the as well as the software. I'm not a careless person I take good care of my things.

These things happen to the most OCD of people I know so it can't be because we're not careful with our phones.

You've just confirmed my suspicions about us getting rejects cause yours is still intact after four years so clearly something's wrong.

P.S. I said the headsets break easily I did NOT say I lose them!
Please use plain text.
Guru III
knottyrope
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

it is possible you got a defective device, stuff happens all the time.

I have used 4 devices in 4 years.

9700 4 years ago. still works and is my MP3 player.

9800 3 years ago, still in use by my daughter n wifi only for some games

9810 1 year ago dropped 2 meters on tile, screen is broken.

9860  approcahing a year ol, I use this currently

I still have my original Premium head set that I got 4 yearas ago. mind you i dont use it all the time but it still works. I dont like the ones they supply today and give them to people that end up breaking theirs. those thin wires are so easy to break. Maybe a BT stereo head set might be better. Sorry for confusion. words here can be misread easily.

Did you ever call you place of purchase about your issues?

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 5.0.4 and BES 10.2.2 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2008

Please use plain text.
Developer
ben1107
My Device: Z10, Playbook
My Carrier: Econet

I think the biggest question will be what kind of devices are these and how many apps run concurrently. Bare in mind that a Curve and Torch have different processing speeds. This pertains to the speed and battery life. Make sure you turn off GPS location after sharing your location with FourSquare. Make sure your backlight turns of at minimum time to reduce battery usage as well. In terms of breaking apart of all the phones i have had i have not experienced that. Not sure if the people constantly drop theirs. i only use a screen guard nothing more on mine. I think in the end its just the negative thinking which brings in these negative consequances. switching off could be a third party app conflicting with another app, or else the battery is not touching the device connectors well which might just require a small paper support at the opposite end

Twitter: @IAmBenGiey | Click " Like " if you want to Thank someone.
If Problem Resolves mark the post(s) as " Solution ", so that other can make use of it.

Try my apps:
The Ultimate Currency Converter and T2G - BloGFeed
Please use plain text.