Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Forums Advisor I
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10

TCP / IP question ......

What is realy TCP / IP going to change if its turned off  - meaning the box next to it is unchecked? I was reading that if its turned off it helps save battery life but is it realy worth the trade? 

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor III
jerryg50
My Device: Torch, Bold, Play Book, and Bluetooth HS-700

Re: TCP / IP question ......

[ Edited ]

In a network where static IP is required there will be an issue.  I believe for general internet browsing and for simple data network use only DHCP is required. 

I am not sure, but the dynamic IP may be required for the phone service. This would be interesting to turn off and see what no longer works, if it will affect anything with normal use...

Jerry G.
Please use plain text.
Forums Advisor I
Leslie8120
My Device: Samsung Galaxy S2, Samsung Galaxy S3, BlackBerry Torch 9800, BlackBerry Z10

Re: TCP / IP question ......

Ok....so I had the TCP / IP turned off for the past 24 hours and I have no idea what is being affected...if anything at all. Noticications are coming in as usual, emails are coming and going, text / MMS is working, internet browsing is just the way it was.... soooo....don`t know what it would other than maybe save some battery. 

The one thing I could think of is that you would use TCP / IP when you would use your phone as a modem???? Maibe ???

Please use plain text.