Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
maartsen
My Device: Torch 9810
My Carrier: T-Mobile

TMO Torch 9810 reboots on WiFi calling access

As of yesterday, my new (May) T-Mobile Torch 9810 is rebooting continually when WiFi is on. The 9810 reboots spontaneously the moment it connects to UMA (WiFi calling) over WiFi (a T-Mobile only feature). I've been using UMA forever, have not recently made any changes to the unit, or my network or router. When I turn WiFi off, the Torch works normally. It started doing this after I did my customary daily three finger salute restart. Anyone seen this before? I have not yet called technical support.

I can find some references to spontaneous reboots both here and at the T-Mobile support site, so I have reinstalled the operating system twice (latest update, 7.1 Bundle 998), replaced the micro-SD card, wiped the handset, reverted to OS 7.0 Bundle 1948 (which does not have UMA, and has no problem accessing WiFi) then re-upgraded to 7.1 Bundle 998 (which does have UMA), but it is still rebooting like crazy when UMA is accessed. Never seen this before, I've been using UMA since 2007, before the Torch I had a 9700. My other handsets (Nokia and Samsung, both with UMA) have no problem. Anybody?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: TMO Torch 9810 reboots on WiFi calling access

I have just noticed the same thing.  I first noticed it last night when my device spontaneously rebooted.  When it came back to life it rebooted again.  I had just installed an updated version of an app and I thought maybe it was related to that.  The device came back up the second time and was fine so I didn't give another thought.

However, today I was on wifi calling all day.  I noticed it dropped off this evening so I cycled the wifi off and back on.  When it tried to reconnect it rebooted.  It continuously rebooted every time it tried connecting to wifi calling even in safe mode.  The only thing I could do was unplug my router so that I could have enough time to access the Mobile Network settings and set the device back to Mobile Network Preferred.  Once I did that the problem went away.

I don't know what is going on but it seems to be some kind of network issue.  I can't find anything in the device logs, though.  I can't call support since I'm on a corporate account and I'm on a newer OS than T-Mobile supports (7.1.0.569).  I've been on this OS for a couple weeks now with no issues.  This particular issue started just last night.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1052; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

I also found your discussion over on the TMobile forum and posted there too. Hopefully someone can figure out the problem. I don't think there is anything we can do on the device side.

John
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
maartsen

Thanks John :smileyhappy:

John_Clark wrote:
I also found your discussion over on the TMobile forum and posted there too. Hopefully someone can figure out the problem. I don't think there is anything we can do on the device side.

John

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
maartsen

Looks to me the problem has been fixed - at least my 9810 is now showing the Wi-Fi Calling icon, and isn't rebooting any more. I've restored the load as I had it when the problem first occurred, and that seems to have no negative effect. Fingers crossed..

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

I have enabled WiFi calling this morning and it is working for me, as well. It may happen again this evening, though, we'll just have to see. As I posted yesterday, I was on WiFi calling all day and it was fine. It then dropped off later in the day and when I tried to disable and re-enable WiFi in order to get it back was when the rebooting started. The previous day I noticed the problem in the evening, as well.

Hopefully, someone at TMobile can find something that might be causing the problem.

John
Please use plain text.