Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
man4war
My Device: TORCH 9860
My Carrier: MTN NIGERIA

TORCH 9860 FAILED TO CONNECT TO ALL NIGERIA BIS NETWORK AFTER OS UPGRADE

Hello all...............This is a problem which many people are facing in Nigeria and which could negatively affect the fortune of RIM in the country if care is not taken. I did an OS update on desktop manager and since then, i couldnt connect to BIS on any network in Nigeria even though i restore my backup files. The phone works quite well, i could make calls and the network is always 3G but no BIS. I went to the host routing table, and register over and over again to no avail. I took the phone to MTN Nigeria and they couldnt find solution. I downgraded the OS, upgraded it, no BIS. I use BBSAK to wipe the phone and reinstall, no result. The phone is not locked but was bought brand new from a retailing shop called Revive at Ikeja, Lagos Nigeria and they refused to take it back because my warranty of one month has expired (this speaks volume on the type of Blackberry Vendors in Nigeria). I thought if i could get a particular restore called BBservices which was greyed out in my backup maybe i could connect again. This may not be the problem, it may be another and that is why am here begging .......pls help.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
man4war

Re: TORCH 9860 FAILED TO CONNECT TO ALL NIGERIA BIS NETWORK AFTER OS UPGRADE

i am sad that nobody is willing to help me in this forum.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

Sorry for the delay...but I'm sure it has nothing to do with the "willingness" of the volunteers here to help...rather, that it may be due to the fact that no one here can really help. Problems like you describe can typically only be resolved by those who have access to the carrier data network systems so as to look and see why your specific BB cannot communicate with their network...and no one here has any such system access, only your carrier has that.

That said...a question...did all services work fine before you performed this OS upgrade? If so, then it remains something for your provider to resolve.

And a second question -- what "tricks" had to be done originally to get this BB to work on their network? From all I can see, their network does not support the 9860. To use a non-supported model on a carrier network requires many special tricks to be done...and the upgrade you performed wiped out all of the results of those tricks. So those tricks must now be done again to get your device working on their network again. I cannot tell you what tricks are needed...rather, you should seek help from whoever it was that originally got that BB to function on the MTN Nigeria network and see if they will again do those tricks for you.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
man4war

Thanks sdgardne for your response. i was beginning to lose hope when no one responded to my cry. Back to the question you ask, YES, all services worked fine before i performed the OS upgrade and when i took the BB to MTN, they couldnt find any problem from the BB or their own end. And talking about whether trciks are needed for the BB to work on the network, i really dont know because when i bought the BB and inserted a sim card with BIS plan, all service books were kicked in and the BB logo immediately appear after i removed and reinserted the battery. I have tried that several times when i did the OS upgrade but i didnt achieve any result. Please if you know of any tricks to get the BIS working, kindly inform me as am beginning to get desperate.

I read in several forums that if one is in a fix like this it is most likely that the BB pin and IMEI has been blacklisted by RIM, please is this so? I bought the BB brand new from a retailing outlet and will be at a loss on why my pin and IMEI should be blacklisted.

Please use plain text.
Hall of Famer II
sdgardne
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.2.2.1531), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)
My Carrier: TMobile USA

man4war wrote:

Please if you know of any tricks to get the BIS working, kindly inform me as am beginning to get desperate.

As I said, I don't know what tricks may have been done specifically for yours. But the usual tricks are to ensure that the APN/TCP settings are correct for your carrier network, followed by extracting the Service Books from a different BB that is properly functioning on your carriers network and then importing those SBs into your BB. But, again, I have no way to know the proper APN/TCP settings for your carrier, and you'd have to gain access to such another functioning BB in order to obtain their Service Books.

But it would be very strange indeed for this BB to have worked so simply the day you received it...perhaps the shop you bought it from had done the tricks?

man4war wrote:

I read in several forums that if one is in a fix like this it is most likely that the BB pin and IMEI has been blacklisted by RIM, please is this so?

Again, no one here has any access to anything to answer that question. That again is a question that can only be answered by your carrier and/or BlackBerry. But there is only one channel for you to seek that answer...via your carrier, who can escalate the question up to BlackBerry if they cannot answer it.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Please use plain text.