Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

M13
New Contributor
M13
My Device: Torch 9850
My Carrier: Verizon
Accepted Solution

Text Messages gone

I have a Torch 9850, and have just discovered that a number of older text messages (very sentimental value!) have disappeared.  My message setting is set to keep "forever" and I have plenty of memory open, from what I can tell. 

Any thoughts on why this happened? And as I've backed up every few months, any way to restore, but not lose messages since the backup date - or do I lose the new messages I want to keep?

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917
My Carrier: at&t

Re: Text Messages gone

The device probably ran out of Application Memory. Look in Options >type Memory in the search bar and go to Storage. What is the available Application Memory?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
M13
New Contributor
M13

Application Storage shows 131.6 mb free

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark
My Device: BlackBerry Z30, Z10 and Q10 w/OS 10.3.0.1154; PlayBook w/OS 2.1.0.1917

Have you rebooted since you noticed the messages gone?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Please thank those who help you by clicking the "Like" button at the bottom of the post that helped you.
2. If your issue has been solved, please resolve it by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
Please use plain text.
M13
New Contributor
M13

I did a battery pull.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

Keep an eye on the free memory. Most likely the memory ran down to zero. When you reboot it comes back. You should reboot periodically, anyway. You'll want to reboot often enough to prevent application memory from running to less than about 10-15 MB.
Please use plain text.
M13
New Contributor
M13

Thanks. 

I have been doing that all along, never noticed the available memory getting low.  It's always been plenty, as I don't have a lot of anything stored on the pnione, except the messages. 

I assume there is no way to restore them from the backup files, without wiping out newer messages? Especially since I don't knwo exactly when tthe old ones were lost.

Please use plain text.
Guru I
John_Clark

That's correct. Restoring them will wipe out what you currently have.

Memory can run to zero just from the device operating. I wish it didn't but it does. I've lost stuff myself.
Please use plain text.
M13
New Contributor
M13

Was afraid of that!

Thank you very much for your help!

Please use plain text.