Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
Autonrg
My Device: Torch 9800

Time Zone Change Impact on Calendar Events

When I travel and change time zones events in my calendar shift, which can be a problem with flight times etc that are always set up in local time  and then suddenly appear 1, 2 or 3 hours earlier in my calendar..  How do I turn off that feature?  

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

Re: Time Zone Change Impact on Calendar Events

We've clamored for years to get automatic time zone adjustment added as a feature and you want it turned off?  :smileyhappy:

I kid.

I can see where this could present issues for people, as you have stated.

Open your calender, press the BB Menu button and scroll to Options.  Choose Date and Time.  You'll see an option for Auto Time Zone Update.  You can turn it off, or set it to prompt you to change the time zone.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Autonrg

Boomer:

Thanks for your response.  I have turned off the auto time change.  But then when I travel my phone stays in the old time zone not local time.  Kind of a problem when you like to have your calendar remind you that you have a meeting coming up! 

I guess only current option is to set my appointments to the time zone I'm going to be in for the meeting.  The only problem is when I look at my calendar today (when I'm in the Central Time Zone) at an appointment next week (when I'm in the Pacific Time Zone) and my calendar says it's at 3:00pm (remember I'm in the Central time zone) I'm going to have to remember that the appointment is really going to be at 1:00pm when I'm actually in the Pacific time zone.  Surely there is a cleaner option?!? 

Please use plain text.
Forums Veteran I
Boomer56
My Device: BlackBerry 9900

When you make an appointment on your device you can set the timezone for that appointment, so in that case, I'd leave the auto timezone setting on.  :smileyhappy:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*** If I've been helpful please consider clicking the LIKE BUTTON beneath my post.
*** Please remember to mark your thread as "Resolved" by clicking on OPTIONS to the right of the post and selecting "Accepted Solution."
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Autonrg

Yeah, but I still have to do the mental math and try and remember where I am going to be on the day of the appointment.  If the appointment is at 1:00pm PST and I'm in the Central Time Zone it will appear as a 3:00pm apppointment in my calendar. 

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Rocourteau
My Device: Torch

Take it from a road warrior, I've tried all methods, and this one works:

- Before you leave, enter all appointments at the time they will happen in your "home" time zone - e.g. you're based on East Coast, you have a 1pm appointment on West Coast, enter it as 4pm EST.

- Any appointment you receive (from any time zone) will be ok - Outlook tracks time zones and converts correctly.

- Enter flight departures/arrival same way - your flight leaves East coast at 6am, enter it at 6am, arrives west coast at 10am PST, enter that as 1pm EST. If you download calendar appointments from the airline (such as from United's web site), it's formatted that way anyway. Neither BBerry nor Outlook allow an appointment to have start and finish in separate time zones - so you can't take your itinerary and dump it in.

- Let BBerry's auto-timezone selection do its work. It *is* a nice feature.

Please use plain text.
slp1801
My Device: Curve 3G

It is completely absurd that the Calendar changes times when traveling to a different time zone. It's a safe bet to assume that many Blackberry user's are business people. Surely if Blackberry was serious about keeping it's users, it could design software to keep the calendar times as they should be while still updating to the new time zone.

After all, if I make a 10:00 appointment for when I will be in AZ (even though I'm on the East coast), the appointment is going to be at 10:00, and should not show as 7:00 or 8:00 (depending on the time of year) when I arrive there and change time zones. For flights, I input the correct times in the calendar, and repeat5 the times in "Notes" so that I will have the correct flight times regardless of the time zone change. Is is a difficult thing to do--of course not. Should I have to when the phone runs several hundred dollars--of course not!

It seems that RIM's OS has many faults which are equally frustrating, and it chooses not to address them.

Unless RIM gets it's act together, this will most likely be the last Blackberry I will own.

Too bad--it could be a great tool!

Please use plain text.
travelingirl
My Device: 9810

I agree it's crazy. When the time zone changes it makes all my carefully planned appts. Happen in the middle of the night. In the date/time display you can put everything on manual and then change the time manually to reflect the time where you are. You just have to treat your phones clock like a watch and don't change the "timezone". Everything looks as it should in the calendars and you don't have to do all that hour math!  Good Luck

Please use plain text.
hagisss
My Device: torch

I totaly agree with these posts....I just came back from out west and was very disapionted in a Canadian company that I try to promote.....this trip made me re-think bying another BB.......I have 1 year left before I can upgrade and I will go another route if some of these isues are no adressed
Please use plain text.
New Contributor
Snuffelaar
My Device: Bold 9790

[ Edited ]

Guys, I think you are all totally right. I live and work in Europe and I cross some time zones myself. I just wrote an entire story on this subject but I lost everything because of the crappy hotel network here in Portugal. Maybe later.

Please use plain text.