Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

My Device: BB Torch 9800
My Carrier: Claro Perú

Torch 9800 AT&T in Perú

Hi, Im live in Perú, and i just buy a Torch 9800 unlocked from ebay and im using this phone with a Claro Chip, and works OK but some one knows how to configuring my phone to activate BB msn, maps, msn messenger and others to work with my BB plan in Claro Peru.? Thaks.

All Replies
Guru III
My Device:

I'm rockin the BlackBerry Passport, Z30, Z10, Q10, BlackBerry Mini Stereo Speaker, 64 gig PlayBook, BlackBerry Wireless Headset HS-700

My Carrier: I am on AT&T. Please edit your Personal Profile with your DEVICE TYPE, DEVICE OS and Carrier

Re: Torch 9800 AT&T in Perú

most likely the service books are not available on your carrier yet or your BlackBerry dataplan has not been activated yet. Happens here all the time that the carrier does not add it in.

Click here to Backup the data on your BlackBerry Device! It's important, and FREE!

Click "Accept as Solution" if your problem is solved. To give thanks, click thumbs up
Click to search the Knowledge Base at BTSC and click to Read The Fabulous Manuals

BESAdmin's, please make a signature with your BES environment info.

SIM Free BlackBerry Unlocking FAQ
Follow me on Twitter @knottyrope

Want to thank me? Buy my KnottyRope App here

BES 12 and BES 5.0.4 with Exchange 2010 and SQL 2012 Hyper V

New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Claro Peru

I bought mine in early September from AT&T, unlocked and all the services are available with Claro here in Lima.  I can give u a hand, because it was not easy to have everything running. Let me know if u still need help.

Fico Chang
Lima, Peru
New Contributor
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800
My Carrier: Claro Peru

Antes que me olvide, copio las instrucciones que utilice yo.

Ya luego lo revisamos con calma.

slds, Federico

Method 1 - ALL Carriers (Desktop Manager 5 works, not sure about 6)

Requirement #1 you need an unlocked 9800.

Note: 3g will not work on t-mobile, you can enable UMA after this procedure though.

This method requires that you already have a blackberry on your particular carrier. (or access to one).

1. Switch your SIM into your old device, Register on the network and push your servicebooks to ensure you have the latest (I used a T-Mobile 9700)
(THIS IS CRITICAL, make sure the SIM is in your old phone. You will not have the necessary Browserconfig SB if you skip this step and therefore still won't be able to surf the web. Do not skip this even if it seems pointless, activate your old blackberry!. Some people skipped it and wondered why the process didn't work...)

2. Go into options, advanced, servicebooks - HOLD THE ALT KEY and type SBEB. This will enable Legacy servicebook restore mode which allows you to backup/restore ALL of your servicebooks (Not just the ones RIM allows you to backup).

3. In Desktop Manager, plug in your 9700 (or whatever you used), go to backup-restore/advanced, on the right hand side select the servicebooks on your 9700 and press the "Left Arrow" to copy them to your PC. On the left hand side highlight the newly copied servicebooks, click file/save and name them something, 9800Servicebook for example, and save the file to the desktop. You've just made a COMPLETE BACKUP of your carriers servicebooks.

4. Switch your SIM back into the 9800, go to options/servicebooks, HOLD THE ALT KEY and type SBEB to enable Legacy SB restore mode.

5. Plug the 9800 into DM and restore the servicebooks that you just created using backup-restore/advanced.

6. Rebewt and bob's ur uncle, working for all carriers. (if MMS is still tiny, it's bc the 9800 isn't identified on the network as a supported device).

To get the service books using Desktop Manager 6 (Enable Legacy Servicebook Restore Mode first, alt+SBEB)

1). load DM
2). on left side select DEVICE
3). Device Options
4). Select Custom, select Service Books
Desktop Manager will save SB"s to the same folder as the directory folder selected when backing up phone and thats all there is to it

**DM-6 note**
After saving the service books be sure to do the reverse and set the selection back to FULL (or your selection) instead of custom or next time you do a backup it may not save correctly as it may still be set to SB's only

If you choose to then enable UMA

If you don't have a blackberry on your carrier you'll have to find the servicebooks for yourself. There's a thread in the 9530 forum that has a link to generic t-mobile servicebooks.

Fico Chang
Lima, Peru
My Device: Not Specified

Fico Chang??? estoy en busca de comprar un bb 9800 torch... tu lo compraste de At&t??? cuanto te costo finalmente? como lo conectaste a claro? funciona igual? los he visto a US$ 150... es eso posible??? xfa apoyame en esto ah y como lo trajiste a peru???