Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Torch 9800: Back and Blackberry (menu) buttons stopped working

Over the last two weeks, the Back key started working only intermittently, and has mostly stopped working now.  The Blackberry (context menu) key has also stopped working at the same time.  I don't know what causes them to start working again when they do work.  The buttons depress and spring back, but do not function.  This is not fixed by removing the battery, and it is the same whether or not the slider is extended.  The End and Call keys still work every time, as does the entire slide-out keyboard, and all keys on the sides of the phone.

A moment ago, the keys worked when I tried changing settings in the Option menu, but stopped again when I opened up text messaging.  Then I got it working again in Options, and then it worked in text messaging.  Now it doesn't work again.  I cannot determine the rhyme or reason.

I have been unable to identify the parts I'll need to repair the buttons.  The glass is cracked so I already plan to replace it (I've identified that part), and want to fix the keys while I have the phone open.

There is no warranty, and I'm financially limited to what I can fix myself.

The problem started when I installed the Overdrive app, but it has gotten worse over time, so I expect it is hardware-related rather than software-related.

I'm hoping you can provide a link to the hardware piece required to fix this issue.  Either that, or software fixes that are known to resolve this type of issue would be welcome.

Retired
My Device: BlackBerry Z10

Re: Torch 9800: Back and Blackberry (menu) buttons stopped working

Hi Kevinsen and welcome to the BlackBerry Support Community Forums!

I would suggest performing a backup of your BlackBerry® smartphone then reloading the software as shown in the article below:

KB11320 - How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop M...

or

KB19915 - How to perform a clean reload of BlackBerry smartphone application software using BlackBer...

Thanks

-CptS

Come follow your BlackBerry Technical Team on twitter! @BlackBerryHelp

Be sure to click Kudos! for those who have helped you.

Click Solution? for posts that have solved your issue(s)!

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: T-Mobile

Re: Torch 9800: Back and Blackberry (menu) buttons stopped working

I successfully performed a full backup, performed a clean reboot, and restored the full backup.  This had no impact on the issue I'm facing.