Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
soladan
My Device: Blackberry Torch

Re: Torch 9800 - Battery drains since latest update 6.0-2391

Hi,

I have to Torch, one with the new version and the other one has not been upgraded.

Other than that they are copy / Paste.

I've also exchanged batteries.

I can confirm that it is software related.

The provider (Bell) has open a case with RIM.

Expected reply ???

njr
New Contributor
njr
My Device: Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

Whoops wrong post 526 issue

Contributor
s12978
My Device: Pearl 8100, 8800, Curve 8520, Storm 9500, Torch 9800, Playbook 32GB

Unfortunately for me, it getting worse. Now the battery drains out in less than 3 hours. I have deleted almost every application that is not core to the functioning of my phone. All applications right now on the phone are RIM application. No facebook, no maps, no media apps... nothing - just phone, email, BB messenger and SMS. That's it. I am not using Bluetooth or 3G or Wi-Fi - nothing at all. Still the battery drains like anything.

And to top it, the phone is hot like hell. And strange as it may sound, the phone is hot, not the battery. I guess the CPU is getting overworked and that's the phone is hot at the lower part. In fact I have lost data in my memory card twice because it's getting hot there.

I am going to wait for a couple of days more and then I would downgrade to the previous version. Maybe that'll solve the problem.

New Contributor
torchguy
My Device: Blackberry Torch 9800

I have the exact same problem.  Old software, got 2 days out of battery.  New software - only 6 or 7 hours.  Turned it on this morning and drained 20% in 2 hours doing nothing at all

New Contributor
jeremy_owen33
My Device: Bold 9700

i downgraded to the 6.0.0.448 Bell software yesterday and the problem appears fixed.

there is some discussion on this issue here as well:

http://www.blackberryforums.com/general-9700-series-discussion-bold-2/248418-os6-0-0-534-problem.htm...

New Contributor
torchguy

Thanks for the link.  I am going to try a downgrade too and see what happens.  I was on the phone with a RIM tech and they asked me how I upgrade to latest version.  I said wirelessly from the phone and they said that sometimes causes corruption issues which may explain battery drain and high phone app usage.  They recommended a clean reinstall via desktop mgr.  I am trying downgrade first and if that does not work I will wipe and start from scratch.  I guess I will always use desktop mgr in future for updates.

New Contributor
torchguy

FYI I downgraded to prior level and all seems to be fine again with battery.

Contributor
Jrnygirl
My Device: BlackBerry® Torch™ 9800

I had upgraded last week and started to complain at the beginning of this week. It was a real problem with the battery drain.... BUT as the week has progressed it has gotten better and better. Yesterday it held the full charge almost all day even with plenty of us. 

Maybe BillJ was right.... it does take a little time for it to adjust.   I'm tentatively optimistic that I'll continue to see improvements on this issue. It's just to bad that the upgrade is causing this problem for so many.

njr
New Contributor
njr
My Device: Torch 9800

[ Edited ]

Finally an answer from one of the other forums. Try this. Shut off compression on the storage tab. Remove  SD card by using safely remove. Reinsert SD card. My battery life had dropped to less than 6 hours just idling. Now I left it over night and after 9 hours it is still at 95%, and no spinning clock

Try it  and see if it works for you!!

New Contributor
amostos
My Device: Not Specified

Can you tell me if this worked for you and if you turned the compression back on?