Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

My Device: 9800 RCY71UW

Torch 9800 Freezes at End of Boot Screen! Does Not Boot! HELP!!!

Was downloading TV app last night (first time), needed to restart. Red light turns on, then the loading screen comes up, finishes, then freezes before moving on to next screen.

I have tried to soft reset, hard reset, connect to desktop manager, searched for help, read posts that will not help.

I do NOT have a phone! I can't call for help!

New Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800

Re: Torch 9800 Freezes at End of Boot Screen! Does Not Boot! HELP!!!

[ Edited ]

I have exactly the same problem.  I was NOT trying to add an app.  In fact, I have very few apps on my device at all.  To me, it's mostly just for phone and email.

Anyway, I had an app freeze, so I pulled the battery.  Upon bootup, it stops at the end of the boot screen and does nothing else.

I tried connecting to the Desktop Software and the BB screen goes white as it tries to communicate.  Then I receive a message that (I think) said App Error 601 and gives me the "option" to reset.  It is of course, the ONLY option, so not really an option at all.

And the cycle repeats.

I've pulled the SIM card and tried rebooting.  I've pulled the extra memory card and tried rebooting.  No change.

Do NOT give me the stock answer of "plug in your device and try to update the OS".  That is USELESS if the Desktop Software can't even connect to the device in the first place!!

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

Hi and Welcome to the Community!

I recommend that you attempt to boot into Safe Mode:

• KB17877 How to start a BlackBerry smartphone in Safe Mode

It may take you multiple attempts to get the ESC key sequence (press/release/hold) correct, so be patient.

Good luck and let us know!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hi again...

I couldn't get safe mode to work.  I found out about safe mode before your reply and was already trying it.

I did manage to figure out, however, that I can connect the phone to my PC without the battery in it.  And without the battery, I was able to connect and I'm now performing a software update.  My only concern is whether or not it will finish the update and reboot properly without the battery.

On a side note, I must say, that the 9800 OS 6 was in DESPERATE need of updating.  Hopefully this improves performance and solves my issue.

I'll keep you posted.

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Mark

Hall of Famer II
My Device: Z30, Z10 & Q10 (10.3.1.2267), Playbook (2.1.0.1526)

You are welcome. There are many different tricks to try...one of them being starting the connection (USB to BB) with the battery removed, and then inserting the battery during the process. Hopefully, without the battery inserted, your process will complete.

Good luck!

Occam's Razor nearly always applies when troubleshooting technology issues!
If anyone has been helpful to you, please show your appreciation by clicking the button inside of their post. Please click here and read, along with the threads to which it links, for helpful information to guide you as you proceed. I always recommend that you treat your BlackBerry like any other computing device, including using a regular backup schedule...click here for an article with instructions.
Join our BBM Channels
BSCF General Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
New Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah that's pretty much how it went.  Phone is back up and running.  All setting wiped.  Will have to get BB Protect and restore my last backup.

Here's the procedure I followed.  Hopefully it will help others.

- Remove battery and connect phone to PC using USB cable

- Started BB desktop software and perform Update.

- The update proceeded WITHOUT the battery

- eventually, the update process hung up with the message "Reconnecting to JVM"

- Then a dialog box appeared with another message saying that it could not connect to the device.  This dialog box had a "retry button" which I did NOT yet press.

- I inserted the battery and the smart phone started to boot up.  Once the loading progress bar appeared on the smart phone, I clicked "Retry" on the dialog box in the desktop software

- the phone immediately displayed the white connection screen and the Desktop Software proceeded with the final steps of the update with the message "Loading Application Modules"

Note:

This process wiped ALL SETTINGS and apps in my phone.  Also, at NO time during this process did I disconnect the USB cable until the software said it was complete and the phone was booted up and running again.

It was a pain, and I'm not exactly impressed with this device overall, but at least it's working again.

Thanks for your help "sdgardne", and if someone else is reading this, good luck!  Hope it helps.

Mark

** EDIT **

Just noticed that my OS in fact was NOT updated.  I verified the current OS version with someone else in the office and it's the same as it was before.  The update process was likely simply because the Desktop Software could not recognize the OS in the smart phone because it was corrupted or something.  So anyway, after 3 hours of aggravation and lost productivity (messing with this stupid thing instead of working), I'm right back where I started before all this began.  Only now I've lost all my phone data since my last backup.

Even less impressed than I was earlier.

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9800

I am having some of the same problems...last week my bb torch started shutting down by itself and then when I would reboot it, it had a white screen that said ``app error 602 or 604` I can`t remember but I would re start the phone and it would freeze randomly and shut down still...I called roger`s and the tech support guy said I needed to update the software and sent me a link to do so...well I have done so and it seemed to mess up my phone even more...now all it does is go to the start screen and if I click on anything it won`t go back, I have tried to downgrade my os and re do it all again numerous times as well as wiped the whole phone...why won`t it work like it used too?? its very frustrating

New Contributor

Hi Tannice,

You might try the above step by step procedure that I followed some time ago (see my previous post).

It WILL wipe your phone and you'll have to reinstall any apps and contacts and such.  So if you haven't done a backup recently, be forewarned.  I will say this, though, ever since I wiped the phone and started over, it has performed MUCH better.

Also, there was a recent OS update that brought my Torch up to version 6.0 Build 3155.  I did this over my WiFi at home and not through the Desktop Software.  But whaetever OS your desktop software has on it, the process above should help you out.  If not, then I suspect it may not be a software issue.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!

Mark

New Contributor
My Device: torch 9800

Thanks Mark,

However, I have wiped my phone completely as well as done whatever upgrades I could, I ended up taking my phone to Roger`s and they are guna ship it to blackberry to get fixed, Thanks anyways :smileyhappy:

Forums Advisor I
My Device: Z10-STL100-4

Great one of the providers that will help you get it fixed or replaced.
THE BITTERNESS OF POOR QUALITY, LINGERS LONG AFTER THE CHEAPNESS OF PRICE, IS SOON FORGOTTEN.