Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
etestini
My Device: Torch 9800
My Carrier: TIM

Torch 9800 - Mobile Data and BIS not activated - Mail & Browse fail, Opera Mini is slow and MSN and Yahoo go in timeout

I have a BB Torch 9800 with OS 6.0 Bundle 2534

I had a contract with the Mobile Operator including the Data Package and everything was working fine, I have access to the mail through BIS, MSN Messenger and Yahoo Messenger was working Ok, as far as Whatsup. Also the Browser was working Ok.

When I was on roaming I have settled “Roaming Off” in “Mobile Network Options” to just use Internet over Wi-Fi when I was under the Wi-Fi coverage.

Then I’ve decided to migrate the contract to “Recharchable” and also decided to dismiss the Data Packet because of cost limitations. Now I have BIS in “not connected” state.

Problem now is that I cannot get the apps working when connected to any Wi-Fi AP.

Mail is not working. MSN & Yahoo returns the message “Unable to find the requested server” when attempting to login. The Browse is also not working and only Opera Mini seems to work but it takes several minutes to build a page.

I’ve also tried to ping the AP and it rarely succeed, sometimes all attempts are failing, sometimes one attempt succeed.

It seems to my eyes that there is a terribly big delay and some applications (except mail and browse that shows not to work) go in timeout with the message previously described.

I’m not sure whether BIS access or no access is influencing the BB behavior with a Wi-Fi connection and making dramatically slower.

The BB connects at Layer 1 with the AP because I can see the BB MAC address at the AP’s menu. I’ve tried also with DHCP Client and Manual IP configuration, no way.

I’ve found at http://forums.crackberry.com/general-blackberry-discussion-f2/unable-find-requested-server-bb-9330-a... that it could be a bug in the 6.0.

I’ve searched tons of forum postings and it seems no one has the clue of this problem. Unfortunately the Torch 9800 cannot be upgraded to the 7.x. this is really bad as it seems I have purchased a “dead” mobile phone.

Of course I’ve tried with lots a different Aps. I’m a technician and I think I’ve done a proper troubleshooting before to come to this conclusion.

Anyone has an update about this problem or, I have no other chance than throwing away this phone and purchase a nice Samsung Note II hopping not be blocked with another unexpected showstopper.

Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

Re: Torch 9800 - Mobile Data and BIS not activated - Mail & Browse fail, Opera Mini is slow and MSN and Yahoo go in timeout

To make a complicated matter easy to understand, no BIS = no surfing and no use of many apps even over Wi-Fi.

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
etestini

Re: Torch 9800 - Mobile Data and BIS not activated - Mail & Browse fail, Opera Mini is slow and MSN and Yahoo go in timeout

So I have no other choice than go back to my provider and activate the Data Packet so I can use most of the apps over Wi-Fi ?.

It seems a contradiction.

I just need to manage my mail and use MSN and Yahoo Messengers and Whatsup. I don't care about the rest of the stuff and I don't care to do it outside of a Wi-Fi area.

Should I have to pay 10 Euros per month to my MO only because I have a BB ?

It doesn't seem to me it is a "go/no go" issue but I think there is a routing problem when BIS is not available that makes a request been served in a time of minutes.

Opera Mini seems not to go in timeout and that's why I'm getting a response after some minutes, maybe the rest of the apps simply go in timeout.

I don't think it is a "wanted" behavior, I think it is a routing issue in the 6.0.

This stuff, together to the fact the device is not upgradable makes me really to feel frustrated.

I can't believe there is not another solution than making richer my MO.

Please use plain text.
Elite II
BillJ
My Device: BlackBerry Z30
My Carrier: Rogers

The only two options available to you are adding BIS to your plan or continue using Opera which works outside of BIS (the BlackBerry browser does not).

Cheers. :smileyhappy:

- If my response has helped you, please click "Options" beside my post and mark it as solved. Clicking the "thumbs up" icon near the bottom of my response would also be appreciated.

Please use plain text.
New Contributor
etestini

True but if we can call "working" to get a page update in 2 to 4 minutes you're right, Opera is working J

But web Browsing is not really my problem.

My problem are the chatters (MSN, Yahoo and WhatsUp) which go in timeout, I believe not because they require BIS to work but because, as I've said previously and I strongly believe, without BIS the 6.0 has serious problems in routing IP packets over the Wi-Fi network.

I guess BlackBerry is not so interested in fixing problems in the 6.0 because they are concentrated in the 7.x.

Problem is that they’ve forgotten to allow the 9800 to be updated to the 7.x and I am the unlucky guy having the 9800 L

If I am wrong with my supposition I would like to have a good technical explanation against it.

Thanks.

Please use plain text.