Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

Contributor
My Device: Torch 9800 6.0 Bundle 1165 (v6.0.0.337, Platform 6.4.0.142)
My Carrier: AT&T
Accepted Solution

Torch 9800 Problems

[ Edited ]

Okay, I have had my BB Torch since about the middle of September. I'm running what they're calling the most recent software. I have had problems with just about everything on this phone... I paid $200 (and signed a new contract) to get it. I've had hell with the camera; for instance, I will take a picture, it will show saved, I'll try to send it to a contact, and it disappears from the folder, only to reappear with all the others I had to take in order to get one of them to save. I despise the Facebook application, and have found that numerous other applications for this particular model are far inferior to those of the iPhone. The touch screen and track sensor are a true pain in the rear end. They both get dirty extremely often, and I have to wipe them with a cloth that won't leave lint.  The Otter Box that was made for this phone broke in about a week, because the little face-plate that covers the screen part is made of thin and not very durable plastic. (I'm aware that's not BB's fault, but this is just to detail ALL of the things that I've had to deal with since purchasing this phone.) I also have a terrible time with BB Messenger, as it deletes my contacts, and won't display their messages. I have to use the regular text feature to view them. I also had to get an app that would lock my screen during phone calls, because for some reason, after about a month or two of having it, every time I'd make a call my face would press the on-screen buttons. 
Don't get me wrong, I adore this phone. These are just a handful of the problems I've experienced since I got it in September. If all the "kinks" could be worked out, it would truly be a rival to the iPhone and Droid phones. 
Anyone else experiencing these problems? I sure wish there were some sort of ANSWER out there for those of us who bought the "1st generation" Torches back when they were a whopping 200 bucks and got the worst version. 
**Edit: 6.0 Bundle 695 (v6.0.0.246 - Platform 6.4.0.105)

"Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity." ~ Buddha

Please give kudos to helpful posts and authors by clicking on the white star to the left of their post. Smiley Happy
Contributor

Re: Torch 9800 Problems

Also, while using the text messaging feature; when a new message is received, it shows it at the bottom of the screen, allowing the user to toggle to the new message if they so choose. Sometimes, it will show me messages from days or even weeks ago, instead of the new message.

"Teach this triple truth to all: A generous heart, kind speech, and a life of service and compassion are the things which renew humanity." ~ Buddha

Please give kudos to helpful posts and authors by clicking on the white star to the left of their post. Smiley Happy
Elite I
My Device: BlackBerry Z10
My Carrier: Telus

Hi there, what carrier are you on?  Some of the problems that you've described can be associated with software, in which case I'd suggest contacting your carrier with your concerns.  There are more recent versions of the OS available and they may need to upgrade to the newer software.

You can try to reload the OS as well as that may assist, at least temporarily.  You can try that using the steps located here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/t5/BlackBerry-Device-Software/How-To-Reload-Your-Operating-Syste...

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

I just updated my software to 6.0 Bundle 1165 (v6.0.0.337, Platform 6.4.0.142), and I'm hoping that will fix some of the issues. I am with AT&T. My best friend and I got both our Torches at the same time, and she doesn't have any of the problems that I do. Also, why is it that when I receive a text, and go to open it, it shows messages from earlier that day or even a couple days before instead of defaulting to the new message? Do you happen to know why this is?

I was so excited to get this phone. I went through 3 different BB Pearls before I got this one, and they NEVER gave me these kinds of problems. The track ball in one of them quit before I had any issues with software or things like that. I love BB's products, which is why I went with this phone over others. It just kind of disappoints me about future purchases and things of that nature. Don't get me wrong - I do honestly enjoy just about everything about this phone. It's taken me several months to get to the point where I wanted to gripe about it. Smiley Very Happy

I have done all the proper things to keep these kind of nuisances from happening. I delete apps that I end up not using, and I have Lookout Security, which keeps it free of viruses. I also reboot it once every day or every other day to avoid the "lag" you can get just like when you leave your computer booted up too long. I also worked for T-Mobile for 2 years, so I'm no newbie when it comes to phones. 

I'm going to try the new software, and see if I can get some apps to help with the rest. I've managed to make it since September, so I figure it can only get better from here! Thanks for your post. Smiley Wink

Solutions: 6,153
My Device: Passport • Z30 • Z10 • Torch9850 • Playbook
My Carrier: Verizon

Honestly, the new OS .337 will solve many of your problems, I think.

And, with that Torch, with 512mb of device memory, you don't need to worry about keep the applications count low, you've got enough room to load many, without worry.

proudmommy22807 wrote:

I have Lookout Security, which keeps it free of viruses.

You don't need that. It's worthless. There are NO virus for BlackBerrys ever discovered, therefore, it is impossible to have an antivirus for something that does not exist. Really. This isn't your PC that is succeptible to virus problems. Delete that app.

Good luck.

1. If any post helps you please click the Like Button below the post(s) that helped you.
2. Please resolve your thread by marking the post "Solution?" which solved it for you!
3. Install free BlackBerry Protect today for backups of contacts and data.
4. Guide to Unlocking your BlackBerry & Unlock Codes

Join our BBM Channels (Beta)
BlackBerry Support Forums Channel
PIN: C0001B7B4   Display/Scan Bar Code
Knowledge Base Updates
PIN: C0005A9AA   Display/Scan Bar Code
Elite I

[ Edited ]

Try running it without Lookout Security.  There is no risk of viruses on BlackBerry just yet, so I wouldn't actually recommend using an app like that at this point  It actually might even cause worse problems than it does good.

If you continue having these problems, I'd suggest taking it into AT&T and have them deal with it, especially given that it's under warranty.   But the OS upgrade should make a big difference. Smiley Happy

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I took too long to respond!  Nice to see that both JSanders and I are in agreement here.

If you want to thank someone for their comment, do so by clicking the Thumbs Up icon.

If your issue is resolved, don't forget to click the Solution button on the resolution!

Contributor

I had no idea about the virus stuff. I just knew that I'd never had a phone that used so much internet access, so I assumed that there was the same risk as a computer. Seems as if I've heard that somewhere before. I have now deleted the app. The phone is running a lot better now, since I've done all this deleting/rebooting/upgrading the OS. I still have a few gripes, but for the most part, the major issues have been corrected. Thanks, guys! Smiley Happy

Elite I

Not a problem!  We're happy to help, and if you have any other problems you'd like I to take a stab at once the new OS has settled in, feel free to let us know.  Smiley Happy

Contributor

I would like to put another cover back on it, but refuse to pay $20 for another Otter Box. The faceplate broke after a week of use on my last one. Also, it would be nice to find out what the "best" screen protectors are for fingerprints, etc. I'm a mom, have two dogs... So, there's always SOMETHING on my phone's screen. 

Other than that, the picture thing is really the only thing that I think may not be solved by the new OS. It just started doing that about a month ago... I'll take a picture, it will show up in the lower left corner (as always), but when I try to view it in the folder, it disappears. Then it will reappear a few minutes later. 

Any pointers on these issues would be greatly appreciated. I take LOTS of photos with my phone. At the moment, it is the only camera I have!

Elite I

With regards to your OtterBox, you can probably send them a message.  From what I've heard, they have good customer service and would likely be willing to help out.

As to screen protectors, I've been using a Phantom Skinz on my Storm2 (and previously on my original Storm) and I love it.  It protects the whole body with a thin protective material and you can simply wipe it with a slightly moist cloth to wipe the prints off at any time.  It doesn't stop the finger prints, but it does provide a level of protection (and it's saved my phone from scratches after several drops!).

Now then, as to your camera issues, that should be a software issue from the sounds of it, but there is a chance it could be hardware related.  If other people you know with Torch devices are not experiencing this issue, then contact AT&T.  That may end up being something that is a warranty issue.

Smiley Happy