Welcome!

Welcome to the official BlackBerry Support Community Forums.

This is your resource to discuss support topics with your peers, and learn from each other.

inside custom component

BlackBerry® Torch™

New Contributor
16Shelley16
My Device: Torch 9800

Torch 9800 Screen Black Out

Screen has recently been blacking out.  The problem occurs just as mysteriously as it starts back up again.  I tried backing up phone and then doing an update without backup and then restoring.  I removed battery both while plugged in and not plugged in.  Not sure if this is a hardware or software issue, but it seems as if there are many posts with similar problems.  Can anyone offer any other suggestions.  I am two years into a three year plan and the cost of a new phone at this point is not great with the early upgrade fees.  I am not a hugely technical person so simple wording on any fix would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Guru I
Bifocals
My Device: Torch 9850/ Playbook
My Carrier: VerizonWireless

Re: Torch 9800 Screen Black Out

Hi and welcome to the forums!

It sounds like the device OS update wasn't successful. Pulling the battery didn't cause a hardware failure, but it could have interrupted the update.

Download a fresh copy of the device OS that your vendor supports extract the file and it will install the device files which the Blackberry desktop software will install on the device, Use the procedure attached below. Please make sure you get a full backup of your device using the Blackberry desktop software.OK? :Yes:

Thanks,

Bifocals

KB13427 How to download BlackBerry Device Software

KB11320 How to perform a clean reload of the BlackBerry Device Software using BlackBerry Desktop Software for Windows

Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)!
Be sure to click Like! for those who have helped you.

Install BlackBerry Protect it's a free application designed to help find your lost BlackBerry smartphone, and keep the information on it secure.

Follow Bifocals on Twitter

New Contributor
16Shelley16

Thanks very much!  I will give this a try.

New Contributor
16Shelley16

I had not really tried this as yet as so long as made sure the phone stayed on and never used the slider all seemed to work okay.  Today someone slid my phone open and the screen went blank and did not come back on.  I tried the instructions you provided, but unfortunately the screen is still black.  Thanks very much for trying anyway.  If you think of anything else that may work...suggestions would be welcome.  Thanks again.